7mm 08

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Kakaduthunder

Re: 7mm 08

#16 Postby Kakaduthunder » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Plumbs I have read your pages. I know you are stuck on the AI version and I understand why, but I am not yet sold and I think I may just run with standard 7-08. I have never had to fire form but I suppose it is not that big of a deal. From above post I am not sure, do you run any AI specific dies? I understand the standard dies to neck down 308 brass, but what about after it is formed?

I never really considered the cost but you are right, 308 $88 bucks vs 7-08 about $200 and that is if you can find it in stock. As this is predominantly a target rifle, I will recover most of my brass unlike when I am hunting. Therefore the work done will likely be retained. I have learnt from previous experience that a quick light skim of the necks usually reveals inconsistencies even with lapua brass so it probably is worth while anyway.

From your table. Does the yellow line represent trans-sonic? Is this data for 7-08 Ai or could it be achieved with straight 7-08?

And lastly, who holds your reamer?

John S

plumbs7

#17 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi John , yes you do need a set of 7-08 ai dies and there is a photo of the set in redding with the part number. So you will need the lee 7-08 normal dies and at least a redding 7-08 Ai neck die ( $80 From memory just for the neck die plus post from US Sinclair international or u can buy the seater in a set).
The standard 7-08 max loads are where the Ai starts.
Above is 24" barrel add about another 120 fps at a guess for 28".

Fireforming to form into Ai was a little scary for me too. But now no worries. On this page I'm trialling fireforming without projectiles with pistol powder. I just finished the final phase of live fire just this morning. No adverse effects on the barrel noted but only have done 50 cases.
But here is what was achieved with my best group. Note no flags just reading mirage and on 15 x at that ! But anyway! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8261
500 ms
L-r wind about 1.25 Moa correction ( including spin drift)

An indication over 4 shots but would most likely blow out to 8-9 over 30shots.
Yes I'm very bias to this cal and maybe not the best person to ask hehe!
Feel free to pm me if you need help!
Regards Graham S
Last edited by plumbs7 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kakaduthunder

#18 Postby Kakaduthunder » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:38 pm

I can feel myself getting drawn down the wild cat rabbit hole. How many firings are you getting from cases? I currently don't anneal because I am not set up for it.

plumbs7

#19 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:49 am

Hi John , got about 15 firings before the primers started to leak. But I was pushing the limits of the case with 180's at 2790-2820 fps. So for you with 168's at about 2840 fps 26-28" barrel they should last a long time. And that's the beauty of Ai's no case stretch and less throut errrosion .
To answer an earlier question, yes the yellow line is the speed of sound at sea level.
Can the 7-08 match the Ai in that graph ? Not a chance ! The Ai will be about 150-200 fps better than the 7-08 standard. The shallow shoulder is it's major disadvantage.
With annealing I just do what my mentor did! Dark room , cases in a drill spinning the case and a map torch. When they ( the necks only)glow dull red , they're done for another 3 firings!
:D

Kakaduthunder

#20 Postby Kakaduthunder » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:24 am

You mentioned before 308 lap brass for $88. I have previously paid that much but can't find prices quite that low at the moment. Where do you get yours?

plumbs7

#21 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi John , I bought mine last year so yes they may have gone up! But I bought them from the Qstore in Brisbane! Regards Graham :)

Ps $115 per 100
https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... apua-x-100

Kakaduthunder

#22 Postby Kakaduthunder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey Graham the cases turned up today as well as hornady 162 Elds. Thankyou very much for that. You weren't kidding they were cooked! I Have taken some measurements and it appears my measurements closely match yours. There is very little difference between the elds and the Bergers. With the .170 free bore that ptg recommended the coal would be just under 77mm. I have roughly 73 mm usable space in a standard AI mag. About 74.5mm in an alpha type 2. The entire freebore is about 4.3mm. It sounds like to be anywhere near the lands I would need nearly 0 Freebore. I am a bit tired so I am going to check my measurements tomorrow.

plumbs7

#23 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Kakaduthunder wrote:Hey Graham the cases turned up today as well as hornady 162 Elds. Thankyou very much for that. You weren't kidding they were cooked! I Have taken some measurements and it appears my measurements closely match yours. There is very little difference between the elds and the Bergers. With the .170 free bore that ptg recommended the coal would be just under 77mm. I have roughly 73 mm usable space in a standard AI mag. About 74.5mm in an alpha type 2. The entire freebore is about 4.3mm. It sounds like to be anywhere near the lands I would need nearly 0 Freebore. I am a bit tired so I am going to check my measurements tomorrow.

Actually John as I was putting them into the post pack , one of the primers fell out ! That is from pushing 180's at 2790 -2815 fps ! And they were tired ! You shouldn't have that problem with the lighter pills !
Thanks for the update and I know I may speak for everyone! But please keep us posted on ur development etc if not too much trouble? :)
Regards Graham.

KHGS

#24 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:50 am

From your first post I take it you are intending to use this rifle for mag fed tactical matches which are mostly shot at ranges up to 500yds with occasional matches at the longer ranges?
I am a strong advocate of A.I. chambers & I shoot F/O with only A.I. chambers. In the case of mag fed tactical matches though I would strongly recommend the standard chambering. The advantages of the A.I. version in your case would most likely be outweighed by the possible disadvantages with magazine feed & the need to fireform. I have put several tactical rifles together for customers, the calibers of choice for all of these have been standard chamberings in .308W, 7mm08 & 260R. 6.5 X 47 & 6 X 47 are also common choices.
Keith H.

Kakaduthunder

#25 Postby Kakaduthunder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:10 am

Keith you are correct the rifle will get used primarily for tactical matches at 500m. After looking at the components last night I get the feeling the extra case capacity gained from the AI is going to get chewed up as I have to seat the projectile rather deep. I don't think the very slight advantage will be worth the time fire forming. Keith what freebore do you have on your 7-08 reamer? As I said I will take some more measurements tonight but I am leaning towards somewhere around 0.040. If I choose to run the alpha mags or accuracy mags I can extend that. I have 2 alpha mags but they have not proved reliable. If I go the longer mags I will have to machine the feed ramp to take the extra length. What are your thoughts on this?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”