Where to buy moly?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John23

Where to buy moly?

#1 Postby John23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:41 am

With the wheels in motion of a 6br barrel being fitted I feel like a born again reloader.
A level of interest that I have lacked for a couple of years .

Admittedly I have shot about 3000 22lr rounds to 200 centerfire due to a lack of inspiration.

Anyway I am back in action and am thinking I might give this moly business a go and see what it's all about .

I see Lyman offers a moly kit but can seem to see any obvious suppliers for the stuff.
I have been searching for Bullet moly and searched places such as brt , qstore ect .

Unless I am completely blind I can't seem to find the stuff!
I have tumblers so won't be needing anything but the powder.

So if you folks could be so kind to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Also what wax do you use? I appreciate a lot of people do not wax but with my limited rounds fired a year I am thinking it maybe a smart storage safe guard .

Thanks in advance

JH

johnk

Re: Where to buy moly?

#2 Postby johnk » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:52 am

There was moly at the Q store last time I looked.

Pommy Chris

#3 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:55 am

Apply the moly wet you get a better finish.
Chris

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:42 am

DenisA

#5 Postby DenisA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:35 am

The reason some finish with wax is to stop the moly coming off when handled. If you use the wet method the results are amazing and the moly doesn't come off.
The typical load for 105's in a 6BR is 30.5gn ar2208. That fills the case really well for about 2890 fps. I'd be worried that moly might slow the MV down that much that you can't get enough powder in there to get your speed back up.

I could be wrong, but that's my first thought.

I bought my my from the Qstore.

6602steven

#6 Postby 6602steven » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:43 pm

good timing John, I just put my first batch of bullets in to coat about 10 mins ago.

I bought Lyman moly on ebay for for $57 but got burnt $17 for shipping but at least i have it now

after trying to decide between dry coating in a vibratory tumbler or in a spare rotary tumbler i have i decided to do them wet in my smart reloader vibratory tumbler. we'll see how they come out

I added 100 6.5 140gr custom comps plus 500g of stainless pins just to give something to fill up the holes. than i added about 1/2 a teaspoon of moly poeder and then covered the bullets in water. i'll know in a few hours how they turn out

Steve

6602steven

#7 Postby 6602steven » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:23 pm

first batch out, probably a bit thin. might up the time in the tumbler

John, if you're around I could give you a small quantity to try a batch

Steve

John23

#8 Postby John23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

@Denis I had the same thought . With a bit of reading 3% loss in speed seems to be the norm .
I was going to put the spare case capacity question to you but thought I would wait as we have spent way too much time chatting latley .

@ Steve Thank you mate . I might just take you up on the offer in 8 weeks or so once I have all the bits and pieces ready .

Everyone else thanks again for the good advice

JH

Pommy Chris

#9 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:03 pm

6602steven wrote:Image

Steve

Too much water you only need a few tablespoons of water for a tablespoon of moly. It will work with more water but it takes ages. You dont need the pins just the projectiles works fine.
Chris

ajvanwyk

#10 Postby ajvanwyk » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:54 pm

Pommy Chris wrote:
6602steven wrote:Image

Steve

Too much water you only need a few tablespoons of water for a tablespoon of moly. It will work with more water but it takes ages. You dont need the pins just the projectiles works fine.
Chris

Agree with the advice. My first go I added a cup of water... looked simular and it took for ever. I removed most of the water and was able to achieve much better results in a few hours.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

DenisA

#11 Postby DenisA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:40 pm

John23 wrote:
@Denis I had the same thought . With a bit of reading 3% loss in speed seems to be the norm .
I was going to put the spare case capacity question to you but thought I would wait as we have spent way too much time chatting latley .
JH

G'day mate. 3% doesn't sound like much, but at 2890 fps, 3% is almost 100fps. That equates to probably another full grain of powder (at a guess) or another 4 inches of barrel (in a cartridge where the powders still burning that far down).

Maybe ar2206H or BM2 might sort the speed difference out. I've always wanted to try BM2 in a 6BR.

John23

#12 Postby John23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:12 pm

I am planning to go with the standard 30.5gr of 2208 trick .
Not really worth spending $80 on a jug of bm2 and then have to find a use for it if the 6br dose not like it .

I calculated 87fps when running rough numbers .
The article I read was on accurate shooter by memory and they made claims if 5% less pressure and 3% less fps.
Then on the contrary they stated a average loss of 20-80fps is the norm.
If it's 20-40fps at stake it maybe a worthy exercise and I may have to use a drop tube to squeeze a little more powder in the case .

80-100 fps and yes it would be detrimental to a cartridge that isn't exactly breaking world speed records .

Bringing Mr Steve a 6 pack of beers for an little sample of his magic powder may have to be the best course of action .

Being such a common cartridge I'm surprised a few people have not popped up with results from previous experience.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”