Sightron Scope and Reticle Query

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

argh

Sightron Scope and Reticle Query

#1 Postby argh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi All,
Looking at upgrading my scope to a bit better glass, and have narrowed it down to the NF 12-42 BR and the Sightron S3 10-50x with the MOA2 reticle, but would like some advice from some more experienced guys.

I am really liking the look of the sightron for what I am after (matches closely what I am used to) but for one issue, the reticle that I would like is only available off the shelf in 1/4 clicks. The ability to adjust vertical in 1/8 for that fine adjustment on the x ring I believe is necessary.

My 'want list' is having a reticle marked with MOA type hashes, mainly as this is what I am used to, like most F-Class shooters I hold off for wind, I obviously want good clear glass, and magnification above the current 24x that I am using. Side parallax adjust would be good too.

My options as I see it are putting up with/getting used to a dot or cross hair reticle in the Sightron to get the 1/8 clicks, go with the NF with the NP-R2 reticle which is much coarser that I would like (2.5 MOA to the first 'hash'). Or the other option is to go with a Custom S3 with a reticle change from the factory, but I can see this as being an expensive option.

BTW, would love a Nightforce Comp with an FCR reticle, but this is out of my price range

My questions are:
Has anyone had any experience getting reticles changed over in Sightrons?
Are any of you guys using the NF NP-R2 reticle for hold off estimation? do you find it too coarse? Or any other reticle that may be available?
Is the parallax adjustment on the objective a pain in the butt - having to reach so far forward?

Cheers
Adrian

Send-it

Re: Sightron Scope and Reticle Query

#2 Postby Send-it » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:36 pm

i don't own a Sightron, but i do use a NF 12-42 BR with the NP-R2 reticle for f class, and an NXS with the same reticle on a varmint rifle.
i haven't found the reticle too thick, as i can always see the x-ring, including the 'x' inside it on clear days.
so far i've never found the reticle to be a problem.
With the NF 'BR' scopes being the common second focal plane, I don't 'hold off' with my windage, as i prefer to dial out most of the windage per shot anyway. Holding off with reticles is a bit more of a 'first focal' plane feature.

i'm short, with short arms, yet can still reach the objective ok to adjust it, so i don't consider it a problem either.
The paralax adjustment on the 'left turret' is a nice feature on scopes, but for F-class where its a bit of a set and forget thing per detail or round, it's no problem as its hardly touched much on the day.

argh

#3 Postby argh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Good point with the Parallax adjustment, you do only need adjust for the first shot at each range, so probably not a deal breaker.

I prefer not to twiddle my knob during a shoot :shock: I am a hold off person, typically I dial in my 'zero wind' during my sighters and aim off from that point forward. My current scope has 1MOA hash's at 20x so at 24x its just under 1MOA of hold off - I typically hold cross hairs to the edge of the x, then the 6 ring for 1/2MOA wind, then use the hash marks for wind shifts of 1MOA or more. The NP-R2 reticle is 5MOA at 22x, so at 42x is going to be 2.5MOA, which is a fair wind shift before that first hash comes into play - the Sightron MOA-2 Reticle is 2MOA at 22x, so at 44x to 50X is 1MOA to just under - almost exactly what I am used to.

All food for thought, maybe I am thinking too much ??

Cheers
Adrian

tinks

#4 Postby tinks » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:05 am

I have both of these scopes on f open rifles, a sightron 10-50x60 with fine cross hair reticle which does have 1/8 clicks on a 6br and a nightforce br 12-42 ch3 on a 6.5x47. Both scopes are good, the nightforce has better more positive feel in the turrets as the sightron can almost feel squishy at times.. the side focus on the sightron is great however it does have a very small focus window, by that I mean very small movement takes it in and out of focus. . Both are nice and clear and i like a very fine reticle without a oversized dot and both of the reticles i find great at all ranges.. i don't think you could go wrong with either. .

John23

#5 Postby John23 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 am

I have had the sightron moa2 and currently have the fine target dot.
Like mentioned above these scopes are second focal plane .

The sightrons are indexed (think that is the right term?) at 20x .
Before and after 20x the subtensions are to no value (well they can not be considered Moa at least .

This is fine for me with my sightron 8-32 Moa 2 as I left it on 32x and learned what there value was based on poi and the rings .

But if Mirage is bad you can not back off the power and use those subtensions to the same value again.

I since have got a 10-50 60 with target for reticle and have never looked back .
Less intrusive, much more precise.
With the extra magnification you can easy see the rings and make appropiate holds if you don't want to dial wind like myself

argh

#6 Postby argh » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks for the feedback guys
Had a look through a few of the different NF at our range on the weekend, fine Ch or target dot might be the go yet, although i didnt mind the Np 2dd.

The main thing i found was the massive clarity increase from my cheapie to the nf br models... definitely time to upgrade

Cheers
Adrian

Southern700

#7 Postby Southern700 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:04 am

FWIW I have two Sightron 10x50 scopes - 1 Fine cross hair & 1 Mildot reticle - personally I prefer the Mildot, especially in bad/low light and heavy mirage. At the shorts the Fine X has its advantages though.
The Mildots aren't that much of a benefit as far as 'holding off' as I usually use the rings of the target for that or alter windage. I find they do help centre the eye quicker quicker when the opportunity/necessity arises for rapid shooting.

That's my 10c worth anyway,
Brendon

argh

#8 Postby argh » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks Brendon, am so used to having the hold off hashes on my current scope I have decided to go with this again.
Currently getting a custom reticle changed into a Sightron 10-50X Might be a few weeks wait, but hopefully worth it

Cheers
Adrian

John23

#9 Postby John23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:12 am

Interesting. Is that a service herons can do or did you purchase from the USA?

Longranger

#10 Postby Longranger » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:19 am

I have a Sightron 10-50x60 on one of my rifles which has the LRMOA reticle which is my preference. While these scopes with that reticle normally have 1/4 moa adjustments, the custom shop changed the turrets to 1/8moa. I think it was around $100. I bought it through 4scopes in the US. The local dealer didn't want to know when I requested the above changes.

The Sightron custom shop are pretty good and 4Scopes are great to deal with.

The reticle subtends 1 moa at 48x and 2 moa at 24x.
Last edited by Longranger on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

John23

#11 Postby John23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:22 am

Was this back in the good old days of 2010 where a sightron from 4scopes to your door was $900?

Or did you bite the bullet and pay duty ect?

Longranger

#12 Postby Longranger » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:24 am

Yep. I was stung on import duty :( but it was still cheaper anyway.

argh

#13 Postby argh » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:53 am

John23 wrote:Interesting. Is that a service herons can do or did you purchase from the USA?

Went through Herrons here in Sydney. Out of interest i struggled to get a local retailer to find out if Sightron would do a custom, and from one retailer was even told that they checked with the importer and it couldnt be done ???
So I went to Sightron direct, found out it was no problem at all and that Herrons could arrange.

Anyway, order was in last week and deposit paid, so will see how long it takes
Thank for you help guys.
longranger, are you still hapy with your sightron?

Longranger

#14 Postby Longranger » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:00 am

Yes, very happy with it. It tracks very well, holds zero and optically very good.

They now do a higher grade version with some very nice features. Not sure about the selection of reticle and turrets or if they customize them to your requirements though.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”