F-STD current favoured twist and bullet?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

F-STD current favoured twist and bullet?

#1 Postby DenisA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:40 pm

G'day All,

Apologies if this question has been asked 100 times already. I'm considering putting together an F-STD rifle and I'm wondering what the current favoured barrel twist and bullet is?

Many thanks.

superx10

Re: F-STD current favoured twist and bullet?

#2 Postby superx10 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:30 pm

I look at the Berger bullet pack that I want to shoot or my gun likes and go with that ,they should know ,in saying that a 1:12 I have can shoot up to the 185 okay but have herd of one of the top std shooters using a 1:13 for just the 155 range ,greater precision can mostly be achieved with a slower twist rate .

Ben C

#3 Postby Ben C » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Denis,
Berger 155.5's and 155 hybrid projectiles seem to be what most are using. Also, 11 Twist (or close) is popular and what is suggested as the 'ideal' twist rate on the Berger twist rate calculator for those pills. I am shooting 155.5's with 13 and 14 twist barrels, which seem to work fairly well. When I get a new barrel, I'll probably go with 11 twist though. I look forward to seeing you on the F-Std list in future.

Ben...

DenisA

#4 Postby DenisA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks guys. If 11 T is recommended, is anyone shooting them well out of a 10 T. I have a 26" SS BB re-chambered 10 T which might be OK for club shoots?

Chopper

#5 Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Its sad we dont hear much about 223 anymore , What a shame :cry: Chop

Chopper

#6 Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:40 pm

How about, FSO, , restricted to A 308 and 223 case ? Just a thought , Might open some interest :roll: Chop

browniedog

#7 Postby browniedog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:45 pm

hu i know of some tr shooter's using a 1:10 but myself i am using a 1:11 but i would consider a 10 next time (if i dont stay with a scope on top)
david

Send-it

#8 Postby Send-it » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:01 pm

i guess it might also come down to,.........will you shoot f-open with the same rifle at some stage?
if yes,.....then a 1 in 10 will suffice as you'll be able to use bigger pills at some stage as well.
if not,.....then something from 1 in 11, up to 1 in 13, is a practical twist to use, which seem popular.
mine is 1 in 12, and it works well with all the 155 (and 155.5) gr pills so far.

Pommy Chris

#9 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:12 pm

DenisA wrote:G'day All,

Apologies if this question has been asked 100 times already. I'm considering putting together an F-STD rifle and I'm wondering what the current favoured barrel twist and bullet is?

Many thanks.

I have shot a 1 in 10 twist with 155's and it was a tack driver. FTR is up and coming with a one in 10 you can always jump ship to FTR if you want, you cant really over spin a bullet anyway. If you go a slower twist I would not go less than a 1 in 12 that at least gives you options. Now I only shoot FTR, but apart my 1 in 10 that was stunning with 155.5's and Hybrids (Berger) my Border 1 in 12 was amazing too. My advice is go 10 or 11 twist and learn to shoot with a bipod, there is no advantage with a front rest and it is more to carry anyway IMO.
Chris

Chopper

#10 Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:45 pm

with all respect, I think you should try a front rest for testing your loads , on stable ground, or bench, we are dealing with a tuning fork here , that are very sensitive to vibrations , and very sensitive up and downs, to 200,000 rpm,s +, So the most stable platform will help, once you develope a load on a reliable platform, then master your rest to comply, without a good and reliable platform , you will never develope a load, dont think you can develope loads or test barrels , or bag out barrels or loads or projectiles untill you have a consistant set up , then you can try and master trigger control, and then when you have mastered that , READ WIND , many chase their tail, when they already had a prime load with a poor set up, also , Try free recoil and a slight hold, YOU will be suprised at the shift, when I was coaching state team some years ago , I seen some big elevation changes because the shooters glove was touching the barrel, once that was removed , elevation settled, just a thought, Chop

scott/r

#11 Postby scott/r » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 am

Denis, the 26 " barrel may be a tad short, but if you use 2206h or even 8208 you should be able to get the speeds up to the mid to high 2900s.

jasmay

#12 Postby jasmay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:12 am

Chopper wrote:with all respect, I think you should try a front rest for testing your loads , on stable ground, or bench, we are dealing with a tuning fork here , that are very sensitive to vibrations , and very sensitive up and downs, to 200,000 rpm,s +, So the most stable platform will help, once you develope a load on a reliable platform, then master your rest to comply, without a good and reliable platform , you will never develope a load, dont think you can develope loads or test barrels , or bag out barrels or loads or projectiles untill you have a consistant set up , then you can try and master trigger control, and then when you have mastered that , READ WIND , many chase their tail, when they already had a prime load with a poor set up, also , Try free recoil and a slight hold, YOU will be suprised at the shift, when I was coaching state team some years ago , I seen some big elevation changes because the shooters glove was touching the barrel, once that was removed , elevation settled, just a thought, Chop

I tried developing loads for bipod setup of a rest, the results were less than satisfying, the rifle behaves different, launch angle is different, the torque behaves different. All my loads are now developed shooting off a bipod on the ground, develop how your going to shoot is what makes sense to me.

Perhaps others have had success developing this way, but it didn't work for me.

Denis, Mark has a Savage shooting 155's from a 1:10 that is simply a 10x gun if you can do your part. 1:10 seems to worn very well!!

Pommy Chris

#13 Postby Pommy Chris » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:06 am

Chopper wrote:with all respect, I think you should try a front rest for testing your loads , on stable ground, or bench, we are dealing with a tuning fork here , that are very sensitive to vibrations , and very sensitive up and downs, to 200,000 rpm,s +, So the most stable platform will help, once you develope a load on a reliable platform, then master your rest to comply, without a good and reliable platform , you will never develope a load, dont think you can develope loads or test barrels , or bag out barrels or loads or projectiles untill you have a consistant set up , then you can try and master trigger control, and then when you have mastered that , READ WIND , many chase their tail, when they already had a prime load with a poor set up, also , Try free recoil and a slight hold, YOU will be suprised at the shift, when I was coaching state team some years ago , I seen some big elevation changes because the shooters glove was touching the barrel, once that was removed , elevation settled, just a thought, Chop

I develop my loads with my bipod. No point in shooting off a rest when that is not how I shoot normally. You would be surprised how accurate you can shoot off a bipod.
Chris

DenisA

#14 Postby DenisA » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks for the reply guys.

Send it, I definitely won't be using it for F-Open. I have plenty of F-Open gear that I'm still using and plenty spare.

I won't be using it for FTR either. Some of my frustrations with F-Open at the moment are local component availability and cost. Not only because of component cost, but also barrel and component life when case and chamber pressure limits are being pushed. I believe that FTR is going down the same path due to the heavier pills and speeds that some shooters are pushing them at.

It's good to hear that 10T's have had good results with 155's. That'll allow me to get going at club level while I work out what I want to do.

jasmay

#15 Postby jasmay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am

Denis, you don't need to run fast with pressure to be competitive in FTR and id love to see you join our ranks.

If you wanted to come down for a few hours one day I would be happy to sit with you and run you through everything I am doing FTR wise, ive had more than a few people tell me about excess pressure, short barrel life etc. etc. but its simply not the case with a lot of us, sure, there were some doing it, but most have realised it was a fruitless venture.

There is also some well priced components available that will let you be competitive, let face it even FS apart from a few cents on a projectile isn't that cheap, particularly if you run a front rest, as most of the guys at the top are.

Ask Lindsay C. next time you see him about my setup, he was concerned about my loads, I convinced him to trust me and shoot the rifle, see first hand what bolt lift, cases, primer ,recoil etc. etc. were like. He was quite shocked to see that a lot of what people are saying is just BS.

I'll even donate and old barrel if you want to shoot FTR.
Last edited by jasmay on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”