Annealing

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Antony Cave

Re: Annealing

#16 Postby Antony Cave » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Should have an AMP next week it is in customs now........there are a few guys on here using them already...yes they cost a LOT but they anneal perfectly every time, and can be set up to whatever brass you are using by simply sending some samples over the ditch to be tested and a program will be selected by AMP for you to use, which will also be updated into the data base for everyone else to use.

This is the cost no point hiding it! all Australian prices.

$1514.44 Delivered + $303.82 GST and customs these prices are accurate to this week.
Life is full of suprises, let your trigger break be one of them.

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Looking forward to hearing how yours goes Antony.

ecomeat

#18 Postby ecomeat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:15 am

I am one of four "co-owners" of an AMP induction annealer here in SE Qld, along with Josh and two others (who can name themselves if they choose to). :D
It is quite simply bloody amazing.
It is beautifully built, quick, simple, and perfectly consistent. To anneal 25 x 284 Win cases after a typical Club day takes all of four minutes. It is virtually silent.
The immediate reward for me was perfect seating feel, which showed as an instant improvement in my Standard Deviation. My SD is now running at 4.5 - 7 consistently for a decent number of shots (25-30 on FCWCSquad training days) which is about 25-30% of what it commonly was in the past
My seating "feel" is sooo damn perfectly consistent now, compared to what it has been like, that I can't help wondering how on earth I was competitive at longer ranges before ordering and using the AMP unit. You name it..... and I have tried it, when it comes to seating bullets.... Lockeze, graphite, Mica, Redding media (remember the photos I posted showing how that stuff can quickly destroy a barrel :oops: )
I was actually hoping that no other Aussies were onto this .......... coz it's almost an unair advantage.
I am annealing every reload, while two of the other three owners are running two to three firings between annealing sessions. It certainly didn't do me any harm at last weeks NRAA Queens where I was able to finish 4th after getting smashed in the gales on day one. I honestly only had one single shot lost to elevation for the three days of the Queens, and I take full blame for that.....I stuffed up my reloading when I went up just 0.1 gr to cover an expected colder temp and loaded some at the original load by mistake. It cost me a 6 o'clock 5 at 900 yards, just a poofteenth below the 6 ring.
Our new machine managed to sneak thru Customs without wearing the GST.
The father and son team behind AMP are actually Australians who moved to NZ years ago. They have now done laboratory standard Vickers hardness testing on many thousands of cases, inc many that we're supposedly annealed using Tempilaq, and they are convinced that a LOT of people out there who think they are successfully annealing cases are basically wasting their time. Also many cases that they are seeing are over annealed, and are way too soft. That's the case with some of my own Lapua brand 6 x 47 Lap cases that were done on a Benchsource gas machine, effectively on the same amount of heat at 284 Win cases which were done first. With an ideal hardness of 100-105 Vickers units after annealing, mine tested in the low 90's after a hot firing....far too soft.
This AMP machine really is "Annealing Made Perfect" :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

jasmay

#19 Postby jasmay » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 am

I'm one of the others in Tony's crew and it is a very simple and accurate unit to use, I'm still playing with the number of firings I let things go for before annealing which takes sometime to work out, but there is a clear advantage over the gas systems, which I convinced myself a long time ago were rubbish and simply stopped annealing brass, which resulted in better consistency.

The AMP is a game changer.....

shooter mcreid

#20 Postby shooter mcreid » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:05 am

I think we can all agree that it's a polarising topic. Tony has summed it up in a way that I didn't with Jason complimenting Tony. Like a lot of things in the sport maybe it's getting close to the point of diminishing returns for the extra cash. Tony, Jason and myself have all used the gas types and unanimously agree on the binifits of an induction annealer. Price is the only drawback so if that is not an issue or can be overcome with a few mates then have a closer look at their web page!

Antony Cave

#21 Postby Antony Cave » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:09 am

Alan, we have the annealer, brass will be annealed tonight and hopefully some results appear tomorrow

Matt P

#22 Postby Matt P » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Well my AMP arrived today, unpacked and annealing brass with-in 15min. I must say I'm very impressed, easy to use, looks like it does a great job.
I found I had to back the sizing die out a few thou and use bigger bushing to get the same shoulder bump and neck tension.
I plan to chronograph annealed and non annealed loads tomorrow.
Matt P

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:19 am

Matt P wrote:...I found I had to back the sizing die out a few thou and use bigger bushing to get the same shoulder bump and neck tension.
I plan to chronograph annealed and non annealed loads tomorrow...

That makes sense - the annealed brass would have less springback. This is becoming very interesting :-k .

Julian D

#24 Postby Julian D » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:30 am

Apparently 10 were sent to Oz this week, 2 people have owned up to it.

I wonder who the other 8 people ( or groups ) are ...... hopefully they are sling shooters, it does sound like these could offer an advantage over the flame annealing. :-k

SMITHTON

#25 Postby SMITHTON » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:18 pm

I got one .

superx10

#26 Postby superx10 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Good feed back Tony .I guess that's how the capitalistic system works build a better mouse trap and people will buy them .

My question is, is it possible to have a holiday in NZ ( and chase some snow bunnies around) buy one and bring it home (annealing machine ) ??? how does that work??? Has any one some experience with doing this.

The old mouse traps are still best.------------------ These guys are getting orders from all over the world they are going to be very successful.-----------

Brad Y

#27 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Should be able to. I brought an F1 crony back from Durban years ago with no query.

Antony Cave

#28 Postby Antony Cave » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:39 pm

I already contemplated this, you will only save on customs......but you still need to pay the GST in New Zealand, plus they are the same price over there.....so totally not worth it unless you are heading over for a holiday. Even then there is no guarantee customs won't get you on the return voyage.

jasmay

#29 Postby jasmay » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34 am

One advantage of the AMP is there is no testing required to get the right flame, case/flame time etc. pop it in, press go.

I know when I was doing it with a benchsource it took a few cases to get it set right, and those cases, well, I was never confident enough to shoot them. And that combined with my 100 cases per batch OCD is a real itchy point [-X :roll:

You also get, without any doubt, consistency in the amount of the case you are annealing, no adjusting the flame the boss holds the case 100% in the same spot. Tony anneals every time, I doubt this could be done with confidence with a flame.

Lastly, AMP claim there is no needs to clean cases to anneal, as it uses induction and carbon does not suffer the same impact from heat as it does from a flame which is also a huge time saver.

Matt P

#30 Postby Matt P » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:39 am

Well I shot last week and chronographed annealed and un-annealed cases and numbers were a bit better (ES was 11 vs 15 and SD was 3.8 vs 5), I couldn't see it in the groups but it was at 300M.
Seating pressure was definitely more consistent, as with a lot of these things I don't think you'll see a improvement until after 600.
Matt P

Return to “Equipment & Technical”