New Vortex Golden Eagle F-Class Scope

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Frank Green

New Vortex Golden Eagle F-Class Scope

#1 Postby Frank Green » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 pm

To pass along some information and pictures if it will help anyone...I received my new Vortex F Class scope. It's a 15-60x. The clicks on the scope seem very crisp and positive. Looking thru the glass and comparing it to a NF Comp. and a March 10-60x I have nothing to complain about. The scope comes with all the accessories shown and is packaged very nicely. It has a side parallax/focus adjustment, 1/8moa clicks, comes with the sun shade, filter, and an extra windage with add'l L/R reference markings on it and screw in lens covers. The reticle is a floating dot and if memory serves me correctly is 3/32 dot. Has marks are in moa. I mounted it on my Remington 40x which has a brand new barrel in 6 Dasher. If all goes to plan I'll shoot the rifle some time this weekend. Will let you know how it works. Will zero it at a 100 yards and will be able to shoot it out to about 300-400 yards at home. Gonna try and make it to a match during next week and will be able to look thru it out to a 1k yards. Will keep you posted.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

DenisA

Re: New Vortex Golden Eagle F-Class Scope

#2 Postby DenisA » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:38 pm

Looks awesome Frank. How do they compare to the NF and March price wise?

Silly question probably. I've seen people cut a hole in a disc and fit it into the objective. I see this scope comes with one. What is it called and what does it do?

Thanks for the post.

Frank Green

#3 Postby Frank Green » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:58 am

DenisA wrote:Looks awesome Frank. How do they compare to the NF and March price wise?

Silly question probably. I've seen people cut a hole in a disc and fit it into the objective. I see this scope comes with one. What is it called and what does it do?

Thanks for the post.

Hello DenisA, Price wise compared to my March 10-60 when I bought that one way less. Here in the States the 10-60 March is around $2600 retail give or take some and the Vortex retails for $1900. The NF Comp. retails for about $2350.

The disc some call it a mirage disc or a modifier disc. I call it a mirage disc. Suppose to reduce/cut incoming light depending on the light conditions and the angle of the light etc...and help reduce the mirage. Also suppose to help with the depth of the focus. I've used the one on my March and on really bad mirage days I will say it does help but I cannot put a number percentage wise to it. Some say as much as 50% reduction but again I personally cannot put a number to it.

Here is a link to Vortex.....http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/go ... riflescope

There are two reticle options. The I put a picture up of which is what I have and a standard thin cross hair type reticle.

Later, Frank

SuperV

#4 Postby SuperV » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:15 am

Hi Dennis. I have been speaking with extravison the golden eagle has a rrp of $2750.

They are due in next month. If anyone is after 1 please contact me I will work a deal.

Pico

ecomeat

#5 Postby ecomeat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:14 am

March sell their "disc" as a Modifier, and state that it will "increase the Depth of Focus by approximately 50%", as well as "may cut incoming light by as much as 50% depending on the brightness of conditions"
I have to confess that I often forget mine is there, and don't bother unscrewing it off my March 5-50 scope.
You can do the same thing to any scope with a bit of duct tape to reduce the effective size of the objective lens, but a screw in disc is a bit flasher :D 8)
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

willow

#6 Postby willow » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:50 pm

I will be fortunate enough to pick one up next weekend with a second to follow once the Australian shipment arrives in July. Looking forward to it.

Frank Green

#7 Postby Frank Green » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:17 pm

A short quick follow up....I shot the rifle over the weekend. Only at 117 yards though. For the first time out with it the scope tracked perfectly with no problems and no issues.

Later, Frank

Central Desert

#8 Postby Central Desert » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Mate, how does the second windage adjustment work ? Is it a replacement, an add on ?

Martin

jasmay

#9 Postby jasmay » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Central Desert wrote:Mate, how does the second windage adjustment work ? Is it a replacement, an add on ?

Martin

2nd windage adjustment :-k

scott/r

#10 Postby scott/r » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:42 am

I believe that he is talking about Frank's spare nob.

Sorry, spare windage nob.

scott/r

#11 Postby scott/r » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:50 am

Just saw these on used guns for $2645 at scoped out in sa.

6.5x47 lapua

#12 Postby 6.5x47 lapua » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:35 am

Vortex were kind enough to sponsor us (canadian fclass team) ,and some of us who ordered straight crosshairs received them a bit early.I have been running mine through the gauntlet to ensure the scope will perform to the highest level.So far the scope compares very well to the nightforce competition in every way;having one on my spare rifle to compare to side by side.

DenisA

#13 Postby DenisA » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:42 am

To me, it doesn't seem like the price gap between the Vortex and NF Comp is large enough to risk purchasing an unknown product over one of, if not THE, most reputable brand in the industry.

willow

#14 Postby willow » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm

DenisA wrote:To me, it doesn't seem like the price gap between the Vortex and NF Comp is large enough to risk purchasing an unknown product over one of, if not THE, most reputable brand in the industry.

I was fortunate enough to pick both of mine up at substantial discount which made it a no brainer alongside the NF Comp. I have used mine alongside an NF Comp in heavy mirage and find the Vortex is able to cut through the mirage a bit better and the eye relief and eyebox is more forgiving in the Vortex.

DaveMc

#15 Postby DaveMc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:14 pm

willow wrote: I have used mine alongside an NF Comp in heavy mirage and find the Vortex is able to cut through the mirage a bit better and the

Not on the one we got to test alongside several NF - all NF scored significantly better optically. - But still they look quite good and tested up well - definitely worth looking at as an alternative.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”