OK so I am new to F Class, What scope do I need??

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Simon C

#31 Postby Simon C » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:25 pm

Ben & Peter,

thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to me when it is explained in that way (ie moving a group). I can see the 'statistical' benefit in the finer adjustment when the holdoff or sight change required is finer than 1/4. This method would also appear less complicated as u dont need to combine a holdover with a sight change.....i think?? I still like my NXS though. Maybe this is another case for a slightly different (larger) target center for the std shooters???? Or should i put that can of worms back in the pantry?? :evil:
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#32 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:58 pm

If I appeared to be defending 1/4MOA clicks, then I should say that if I bought a new scope it would have 1/8MOA, and that will give you more flexibility. But I also think you can get by with 1/4MOA and aiming off, and there are times (e.g. when you get a brief good patch in difficult conditions) when aiming off and shooting quickly is the best strategy.

But like most of us - I'm learning and changing techniques all the time - as with most things, improvement is what brings the most satisfaction.

Alan :D

Tony Q

#33 Postby Tony Q » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:22 am

Yes, I wasn’t defending the 1/4 click scopes either. I don’t think there is a right answer for this one, there is only personal preference.

I agree that 1/8th clicks do give the ability to move the group a small amount, there’s no question of that. But its not the be all and end all in relation to your final results or fine accuracy (unless we are talking Benchrest),

There are just as many top shelf shooters in the world using both ¼ or 1/8 scopes…. Each to their own and whatever works for you.

I referred to the psychological edge some equipment can give you, in my case I know to hold off rather than move the group ¼ … even on a fullbore target I rarely change it unless im right on the edge of the ring.

Having the ability to move the group 1/8th regardless if you use it or not can be of benefit to your overall thinking ……. That’s what I was referring to.

But that’s the great thing about this forum, to be able to look at things from all sides and help to resolve issues or help others who may need some guidance.

In closing …

I have 2 NXS scopes and 1 NF BR …. Would I buy NXS again, to be honest im unsure, I like them a lot but they do carry a hefty price tag and the tough build quality is not required for TR shooting. They are terrific for long range work where ¼ clicks make more sense when your center is 1 min in size.

I don’t think anyone would even bother making a 1/8 adjustment at 1000yds but at 300 well, it could be an advantage :)
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”