Spotting scopes.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Bigdog

Spotting scopes.

#1 Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 am

I am considering purchasing a leuopold green ring spotting scope,has anyone got an opinion as to quality of these or are there better for the money. :?:

littlebang556

Spotting Scopes

#2 Postby littlebang556 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 am

I tell you what bigdog, I will swap you my nikko stirling any day.
Basically you can't go far wrong with any of the top brands otherwise for price, there may be cheaper out there but in the end leuopold are good.
If your budget was $500 and you were looking at a price variance of $100 or so $ it might be a problem but when you start talking big bucks $100 or so is not much to get worried about.
Althouth it would also depend on its use, for most disciplines I would recomend an angled eyepiece and magnification in the range of 20 to 60 with a good size objective lens.
Don't forget to budget for a decent scope stand to protect your investment.
My Two cents worth.

Rob

Bigdog

#3 Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:10 am

Mate I have never owned a spotting scope before,ive got good quality scopes on all my rifles,cant see the point of looking through a good scope then look through a less that quality spotter.I may have the wrong idea,would not be the first time :D .The spotter would be used from 100mtr to 600mtr.
Local dealer quoted $450 for the 15-45x60 sequoia green ring with angled eye piece and $740 for the 20-60x80 sequoia green ring with angled eye piece.I dont want to spend more that $1000,half that would be great :D .
Are there any other brands that I should consider.TIA.

Bigdog

#4 Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:20 pm

Rob,I have just re-read my reply to your post,I apologize for the tone I used,I did not mean it the way it sounded.If that makes sense,usual thing what I think and the way its typed are not the same :( .Once again if I offended I apologize.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 pm

Bigdog,

As moderator on this site, thanks for taking the trouble to say that. I've occasionally had to say something when things get disrespectful - this makes a pleasant change!

Alan :)

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:53 pm

I have not used the scope you mention but am sure it is good.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Firstly, I just love to feast my eyes on good optics. Its addictive. But when looking through typical atmospherics on a riflerange at the worst time of day down near the ground cheaper spotting scopes often are just as good. Many top spotting scopes (with a price to suiter) show marked superiority in poor light. Thats not often an issue on a riflerange.

Large eyerelief is in my opinion worth more than magnification. Because of this zooms are in my opinion second rate. No zoom eyepieces - except a few really exotic ones - offer as much eyerelief. The most useful magnification is about 20x - 25x

Anyone shooting F class is doing precision scope shooting. I would be spending a lot of money on a good riflescope and using any old scope for spotting.

The scope stand may be more important than the scope. Most scope stands you buy are not very well suited to the shooter.

This does not directly answer your questions - maybe it is of some help.

Peter Smith.

littlebang556

Bigdog's apology

#7 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:14 pm

AlanF wrote:Bigdog,

As moderator on this site, thanks for taking the trouble to say that. I've occasionally had to say something when things get disrespectful - this makes a pleasant change!

Alan :)

Yes this sort of action is good to see but in this occaision as is the case most of the time, I was not offended in any way as I did not read the response in a disrespectful way.

Also I too belive that you are best to spend your hard earnt cash on a top rifle scope if you are shooting F Class.
As for scope stands, quite often the stands that come with the scope should be respectfully placed in the bin where they belong...personally for full-bore shooting I do use a very alcheapo stand that I paid $5 for at a salvage yard and it does not quite suit my scope but as my score have been a little better lately I will wait a while until I introduce the Southerland stand that I have in my bag.

Regards

Robert A

Return to “Equipment & Technical”