fx 120 i

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

budget

fx 120 i

#1 Postby budget » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:14 pm

hi guys,
i am considering purchasing a set of A&D fx120i scales i have read a few reports and am very interested in hearing reports closer to home. thanks in advance.
paul

Barossa_222

Re: fx 120 i

#2 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm not sure what the 120i is like but I just purchased a 300i and am very happy. I got mine after looking a mates and was very impressed with the accuracy. I'm sure the 120i will be very similar.

SuperV

#3 Postby SuperV » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Budget what are the 120's worth.

budget

#4 Postby budget » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:21 pm

hi ben,
look I'm not quite sure but i think around 640 us dollars so 800$ aus +50$ and a bit for postage.
sav

Longranger

#5 Postby Longranger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Very nice bit of kit. I have one and once you get used to it you won't go back to beam scales or cheap electronic scales. Resolution is ideal for reloading. Let it warm up prior to use and check your calibration regularly. I find if the scale doesn't zero with the pan replaced and doesn't register negative 102.90grains with the pan off with mine then a check is required. A relatively clean power supply helps. I can't use mine when the Fisher and Paykel washing machine is in use as it dumps all manner of electrical garbage back on the line (same circuit). I am building a dedicated reloading room with a Novaris surge and line filter for that rooms supply.

Generally it doesn't drift over 50 round batches of ammo when I'm loading. The hybrid magnetic force restoration system is slick. It is fast to use and accurate (to the kernel with 2208) usually. Maybe + or - a kernel with much finer 8208.

I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. Treat it with care and it'll last for years.

I got mine from Cambridge Environmental in Canada.

ecomeat

#6 Postby ecomeat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:27 am

I have had one for about three years now, bought from San Diego Scale Co in California and cost about $800 delivered. Then I think it was DenisA who found them cheaper in Canada.
Fast, accurate, reliable. No issues whatsoever and is one of the best shooting investments that I have made. Locks the weight in very quickly, meaning it's ideal for weighing and batching cases, bullets, even primers.
The only issue with quality magnetic force restoration technology is having to be aware of air pressure, so it means closed doors and windows to keep the air still, plus many say that digital scales can/will be affected by flouro lights and mobile phones.
Buy it !!
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Elwood

#7 Postby Elwood » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm

One of the best purchases I have made. Before the A&D FX 120i I used a Gempro, which although was a lot smaller it was a utter pain in the backside to use due to drifting every 5 minutes.

6.5x55ai

#8 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Yep, I too put up with a Gempro. Other owners told me how good they were. It drove me nuts. Replaced with AnD fx300i which is exactly same as the fx120i just has greater capacity than the 120. Where I live it cost an arm and a leg. The killer here is the low level of gst kick in. Extremely pleased with it. Yes, 1 kernel of 2208 moves it one smallest division ie 0.02 grain. Also purchased a class 2 calibration weight on Ebay. Bloody expensive and I hardly use it after the initial check. Also note the minus value when the pan is lifted as a check. If I am loading first thing in the morning I turn it on the night b4. It is rock solid after that length of warm up. Weighed 100 new cases the other day in about 12 minutes. Weights went straight into an excel spreadsheet via the scales serial link. The slowest part of the whole deal was me fumbling the odd case. I remember doing the same exercise years ago on a mechaical balance scale and it took hours. Mate has a Sartorrius for similar cost and specs to my 300 and it is excellent too. Maybe slightly better construction with glass windshields instead of plastic. German instead of Korean. You will not be disappointed with the fx120 and like me you will wish you had got approval to purchase ages ago.

Daniel Chisholm

#9 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:37 am

I bought one, I was looking for a nice high performance scale and the Fx-120i fits the bill. The good two things about it, which are worlds apart and completely different from all the cheapie electronic scales that I have used, are:
  • It actually holds a stable zero and doesn't drift
  • Its update rate is *FAST* (20 samples/second)

Both of these combine to make it actually possible to weigh powder charges as you are trickling into the pan (and do note that this is not a slam of other high quality scales out there, I would imagine that the other USD500+ scales are also just as good, I just don't have any first hand experience with them)

To be honest though I have hardly used mine at all. You see, I loaned it to a friend and before you know it he had developed an automatic motor-driven powder trickler for it and is now selling that as an add-on mod for the scale (http://www.autotrickler.com/index.html). I think maybe I should ask him for my scale back now....? ;-)

budget

#10 Postby budget » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm

hi guys ,
Thank you for all of the reply's,now the cost.America is out, the exchange rate is just too much as is the freight 121$.
Canadian dollar and ours are about par and I'm told they are freighted from the U.S.so thats about 730$+121=851$
so i have been checking australian companies,nothing really exciting here,has anyone found a good price for the 120i or 130i
thank you paul.

michaeljp

#11 Postby michaeljp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:07 pm

The Scale shop A&D FX1 $935
Anyscales, FX300i $893

Return to “Equipment & Technical”