New V8 scope from Zeiss

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

willow

New V8 scope from Zeiss

#1 Postby willow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Looks like Zeiss have just added a new Victory V8 scope to their lineup, a new 4.8-35x scope with 36mm tube and 60mm objective. It has a neat little illuminated floating dot reticle too. Reckon this might find it's way onto any F-class rifles?

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_d ... position-4

AlanF

Re: New V8 scope from Zeiss

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Looks like a great scope but unlikely to be popular with F-Class because of the adjustments. I wouldn't recommend mrad adjustments for F-Class simply because nearly everyone thinks in terms of MOA. Shooters often ask other shooters "how many points of wind did you have on?", or "what's the come-up from 300 to 500?" etc. And for coached shooting, most top coaches adjust the knobs for the shooter, and would find mrad adjustments extremely hard to manage.

ecomeat

#3 Postby ecomeat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 pm

I used a quality Mrad scope (Schmidt & Bender 5-25 PM11) on a 6.5 x 47 Lap, and at the same time a March 5-50 that is MOA, and it nearly did my head in, trying to "swap over" in my head, when changing rifles.
Selling the S&B was one of the smarter things that I have done in my short (4.5 yrs) F Class journey. :D :D
This new Zeiss will no doubt find a willing market with the "Tactical" crowd, but like Alan said, there probably wont be too many F Classer's ready to splash out that sort of money on something that literally isnt suited to F Class,
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Daniel Chisholm

#4 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:19 am

AlanF wrote:... mrad adjustments.....

Scopes with mrad adjustments usually have clicks that are 0.1 mrad (often labelled "1cm at 100m"), or half of that .05 mrad (which is what this V8 scope uses).

For field-expedient purposes (including coaching!), one can treat a 0.1 mrad click as being 1/3 MOA (it's actually 0.343 true MOA) or in the case of the finer .05 mrad clicks those would be 1/6 MOA. Shades of Central past.....

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:48 am

Do today's kids know their 6 x tables? And more to point for F-Class, do today's 80 year olds remember their 6 x tables :lol: . Seriously though, if Zeiss, Swarovzki etc. want a piece of the high end F-Class market, then they need to tick ALL the boxes as the likes of NF and March do.

Here's the boxes I like to see ticked for a high end scope :

Variable range at least 15 to 40X
Good selection of target reticules
Side focus/parallax adj.
At least 60 MOA vertical and horizontal adjustment
1/8 MOA clicks (not mrads)
At least 10 MOA per rev
Excellent optics
Excellent mechanicals and lifetime warranty

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:07 am

Alan. I think you have summed it up well.

You could also add - especially for FTR - as light weight as possible.

I think many of the scope manufacturers look to a larger market then F Class which means the US Tactical and Wannabe Sniper Market.

An interesting snippet. If you download the instructions, three specific patents are listed.

Two of the mentioned Patents are held by Bushnell and one by another US individual name and all are on Hydrophobic Coatings.

There may be other Patents not mentioned but there is not much about the optical design these days that is special to any maker despite the hype about F, HT, and HD glasses.
They just add some cost but there are no secrets.

Firms like Leica and Ziess are today companies that organize quality optics to be made anywhere in the world that can do an excellent job which is no criticism but it means there is not the magic to be associated with these names that there once was.

Peter Smith.

plumbs7

#7 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:43 pm

I've been shooting mills for eions now! Good for field shooting if one is into that ! One can be successful with mills in f class . But it's just much harder as u never hold dead on , even in elevation! It does exercise the Brain cells. It like comparing English to French!

I think if you are going to just major in F class then 1/8 moa is the go ! I have been at a huge disadvantage with mills of late and have had to rely on some very special people to overcome that !
( thanks J) :lol:

If anything on a whole in a way I can speak both moa and mills! So all good!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”