F CLASS 'X' RING

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Cliff Austen

F CLASS 'X' RING

#1 Postby Cliff Austen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Looking for comments on having the F Class 'X' ring in WHITE.
In most cases the centre is Black. In bad light, rain etc finding the centre is difficult, through most scopes.
Personally, I struggled to get a focus/sighting on the centre in the recent Canberra Queens during the light, misty rain.
Comments?
Cheers
Cliff

johnk

Re: F CLASS 'X' RING

#2 Postby johnk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I agree with you that it is a challenge, which is why I try to aim off centre on a clear visible line for preference, rather than centre the crosshairs. I've done that since I started shooting match rifle back in 2000. I must admit I didn't shoot on the old championship target much. but the flaring white never attracted me when the light was up.

I expect that some TR shooters might not go for it, so their needs would have to be considered too.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:00 am

I'm wondering if an "off-white" X-ring would be better received by TR generally, and be less likely to cause the "flare" that John mentions. There is also the question of spotter colour - to avoid confusion, we might need to go to a red spotter always.

ecomeat

#4 Postby ecomeat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:20 am

if the X ring was a "matte grey", I think it could work. Most scopes would surely have a clearer aim than onto a black background, and there shouldnt be any of the white flare that people talk about.
Still simple Black and White colours for printing, and existing spotter colours would still work.
Could any graphically gifted folks (Braunds come to mind :) ) dummy something up to give us a look at what it might look like ?
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Leave it as is. Today in the sun, white would have been a nightmare. Black was bad, but the boiling and switching mirage was going to cause problems with anything- even grey. White would have added refliction to it as well. When the mirage stopped or slowed even at 700m it was possible to see the X itself on 40 power. Dealing with it is part of shooting. There are some events that see 4 seasons in a day and you cant stop a shoot and change X ring colours just to suit one group of shooters. If you want to have something better to aim at maybe swap the actual X for a white dot the same diameter of the X. It will give an aiming point that is distinguishable for scope shooters (in good conditions) and wont cause problems with TR shooters.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Brad Y wrote:...If you want to have something better to aim at maybe swap the actual X for a white dot the same diameter of the X...
I'm fairly sure that's what Cliff meant.

Cliff Austen

#7 Postby Cliff Austen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:52 pm

I am referring to the 'X' ring or super 'V' only. On the 300m target this is 35mm. Just slightly larger than a 50 cent coin.
At Nowra, we run a white X on our electronic targets.
The afternoon sun shines on our targets.
Target Rifle shooters have never complained.
We are only talking about a very small area, but just enough to assist scope shooters.
The original F Open Targets had a white centre.
cheers
cliff

Caska

#8 Postby Caska » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:19 pm

I like the white X ring

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

After further thought, I suggest that we shouldn't change our targets until we convince ICFRA to change theirs, and that can't be before the 2017 Worlds - but we need to progress the idea locally meantime. Internationally, TR & F class shooters generally don't shoot together, so it mightn't be that much of an issue with ICFRA.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:12 pm

I don't think it would be a major problem for Australia to make a slight departure from the ICFRA target to suit our own conditions and situation. We already have slightly different ring diameters on some targets.

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Oh?

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 pm

johnk wrote:Oh?

I should have said, the US target has slightly different ring diameters (from ICFRA) on some targets :oops: :) .

Brad Y

#13 Postby Brad Y » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:06 am

I meant the X itself not the X ring being white in full. Instead of the white X mark in the middle, change it to a white dot the same diameter as the X itself is. Might be a 1/4MOA dot in the middle.

Malcolm Hill

#14 Postby Malcolm Hill » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:43 am

I think we should just keep shooting on the target we have, it suits all 3 F classes as well as TR shooters, has no drawbacks for scoring of the disciplines, is easy for all clubs to make available and has brought some harmony between TR and F class shooters. I'm sure though that the Braund brothers could design and print whatever centre takes your fancy but maybe you should come to Lower Light to test them. For over half the year it is a battle to even see the six ring, so whatever you have inside the invisible X ring is of absolutely no use over this way. If conditions are good at times during the cooler months a good scope allows aiming anywhere inside the X ring so it depends on where and when you shoot as to what precision you get when aiming. Having a target changed to suit people that shoot in areas that have better sighting conditions is a bit like saying that those that shoot in windy areas where sighting is not so good should be able to use heavier bullets so they can have an advantage as well. Regards Malcolm.

Barry Davies

#15 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:19 am

Having a different target for F Class ( to that of TR ) is the best way to ensure segregation--been there, done that and it doesn't work.
Leave well alone.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”