7mm - 08 Ackley Improved information Blog!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

williada

Re: 7mm - 08 Ackley Improved information Blog!

#61 Postby williada » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:04 am

Graham, go back and re-read the pinned topic of, “Recoil and Stock Design”, on latter pages. Shaun is right to point out your position. Then if you have someone take photos, put them up for comments. It’s important to get the basics confirmed and eliminated, before any other aspect can be examined. David.

plumbs7

#62 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Ok , will do , thanks very much . I'll try and get some
Pics up soon . Regards Graham.

Ps .David Ur prodigy ecomeat had a good win at Gundy on the weekend too!

Quick

#63 Postby Quick » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:16 pm

Also watch out how your firing hand grips the stock and the location of your fingers. I was getting strange horizontal shots and when a mate watched me shoot and picked that up, all I did was change my thumb position at his advice and my weird shots went away.

Also are you making sure your stock is settled into your rear bag before you start your shoot? And have you verified the accuracy of your powder measuring device?
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

plumbs7

#64 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Quick wrote:Also watch out how your firing hand grips the stock and the location of your fingers. I was getting strange horizontal shots and when a mate watched me shoot and picked that up, all I did was change my thumb position at his advice and my weird shots went away.

Also are you making sure your stock is settled into your rear bag before you start your shoot? And have you verified the accuracy of your powder measuring device?

Hi Shaun , this forum is really great for all of the skill and experiance that one can tap into. What you and David have said about my scope set too far away from my eyes , makes heaps of since . My vertical problems are well mentioned on this forum and has been a problem since I started using it . It has cost me a potential top 5 at the Nats with a huge melt down at 900 yds and all of the drama that followed and a point at Bundy and 8 points at Ipswich and day1 at Gundy. So to answer some of ur questions .After that meltdown at 900 yds , yes I now pull out my cheek piece and seat the stock home in the bags . As I believe this and my shoulder over the stock caused the huge vertical into the 4 rings in June .
Shaun , Jenni H taught me at a previous Queens when I was in B grade about trigger control and just having a lose hand and only having thumb and trigger pressure . Before that I had vertical troubles with that rem. I try and keep my thumb in line with the bolt.
I'm quite sure I'm reaching for the scope! Usually user pressure like the last shot!

I was just thinking of how many possibles I've had since May when I got it . Compared to the Remington in 12 months . Remington 1 to me 500 yds 2014 Nats and 1 to my son (90.7) Bundy Opm and none at club level .
Stolle Panda 308 2 times , 600 yds Nats and at Bundy 600 yds . 7-08ai since week before Ipswuch Opm 66 at Jandowae 800 yds , 60.7 at Ipswich Opm 600 yds . 60.4 at 800 yds at Dalby , 60.5 and 60.1 at Gundy at 500 m's . But who's counting lol! And that's since May!

Point is the stolle is whipping the Remington in recoil management and accuracy ! It's not all bad , just have to tweak a few things . Anyway I think I've commented a little too much on this blog and time for me to bow out and let somebody else have a go!
I'll move the scope back half an inch and send a photo in of my ugly mug behing the scope in position !
Again thanks heaps. Without this forum it would take nearly a life time to improve on things !
Regards Graham.

plumbs7

#65 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Umm .... No photo of me behind the gun. Thought I would spare everyone the agony! Starting to work this gun out and calibre out. Really like the cartridge . Shot another possible today at Dalby at 300 yds 60.(can't remember how many x's!) just fire forming. Dropped 2 in the second due to , 2 fast wind changes that I missed ! Doh!
Extremely accurate ! Have sorted the vertical out for now I think . NorthArm opm is the next biggie her in SE Qld . That's if I can get some 7mm pills as seems to be no Berger pills around. Hopefully Aaron Rad can help there. Great to support locals !
Regards Graham.

Quick

#66 Postby Quick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Graham, what did you do to get rid of your vert?
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

plumbs7

#67 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Shaun , story short was teqnique .
For the first few shots with a clean barrel I'm aiming just below the 12:00 6 ring to let the barrel settle down. Then it's fine . Also neck clearance every round is checked !

The biggest problem was and I caught myself doing it . Is after a few shots would ride my shoulder up high on the but and inadvertaly put pressure on the stock . Same as cheek pressure .
But even just fireforming last weekend with 168's I was very happy ! Like I said NorthArm OPM is coining up so we will see how it goes as there are some very good shot will be inattendance ( little nervous to say the least!).
Regards Graham.

plumbs7

#68 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:28 pm

I must say with the 7-08 WA win , poeple are saying " oh yes , but that was only up to 800m , they fall apart at 1000 yds !"
So at the moment , it's the black sheep of the family ! But I think I've said it before ! The 7-08ai and .284 is the same as the .308 and 30-06 , IMO .

But in summation , the most ever possibles that I have ever shot . Possibly the Bart barrel and the calibre ?? Who knows !

Longranger

#69 Postby Longranger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:20 pm

I have been watching your progress with this caliber with great interest as I've been thinking along similar lines.

Sounds like your 7mm-08AI is a hammer!

Quick

#70 Postby Quick » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:25 pm

I can assure you that they work quite fine at 1000yds :) most of my testing has been at 1000yds. But now its time for more people to show they work at all ranges.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

6.5x47 lapua

#71 Postby 6.5x47 lapua » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:02 am

what a great site! as a canadian gunsmith and avid f,er im glad to find a site with like minded people! i have been working on the 7mm-08 imp. for a while now and my findings mirror yours quite closely. I went with a 30 degree shoulder and no turn neck.
i campaigned this cartridge at the home of fclass last month (Kamloops,B.C.) with 168 grain projectiles and it sure seems to want to be competitive.I generally shoot ftr but like to dabble in open once in a while and will run this setup at palma distances in the spring.
cheers Bob

plumbs7

#72 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:21 am

6.5x47 lapua wrote:what a great site! as a canadian gunsmith and avid f,er im glad to find a site with like minded people! i have been working on the 7mm-08 imp. for a while now and my findings mirror yours quite closely. I went with a 30 degree shoulder and no turn neck.
i campaigned this cartridge at the home of fclass last month (Kamloops,B.C.) with 168 grain projectiles and it sure seems to want to be competitive.I generally shoot ftr but like to dabble in open once in a while and will run this setup at palma distances in the spring.
cheers Bob

Hi Bob , welcome to our little forum ! What setup , action , barrel combination are u running? What powder and velocity are u yielding ? Have u tried 180's yet ?

I know when I went to start with this cartridge there was no starting load info , at least with a competition gun! So it was good that we have all come together to share our information ! Regards Graham.

6.5x47 lapua

#73 Postby 6.5x47 lapua » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:23 am

plumbs7 wrote:
6.5x47 lapua wrote:what a great site! as a canadian gunsmith and avid f,er im glad to find a site with like minded people! i have been working on the 7mm-08 imp. for a while now and my findings mirror yours quite closely. I went with a 30 degree shoulder and no turn neck.
cheers Bob

Hi Bob , welcome to our little forum ! What setup , action , barrel combination are u running? What powder and velocity are u yielding ? Have u tried 180's yet ?

I know when I went to start with this cartridge there was no starting load info , at least with a competition gun! So it was good that we have all come together to share our information ! Regards Graham.

Graham,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I put a test rifle together on a trued remington in one of my old open stock designs.It has a 30" Jury barrel in 9 twist. My findings have shown on this particular rifle there is a node for the 180,s at 2750 fps,and the 168,s at around 2850 fps that isnt abusive on brass with H4350 powder(2209).this pretty much mirrors you guys findings.I did test with reloader 19,hodgdon hybrid 100v,vv 160,imr 4007sc. i was able to break 2900 with some of these powders with 168,s but could not get any consistency. one powder i am still wanting to try is vv 165.Hopefully i can get to that powder this winter.
cheers, bob
ps. had a whole bunch of 168 chinchaga bullets from a local bullet maker here so the 180 testing is a little shallow but what was done in this rifle was with hybrids in 180

Steve N

#74 Postby Steve N » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:25 am

Graham I have a new barrel on the way and will have another try with the 7-08ai. Found that my original barrel has some strange variances in diameter at the breech end which may have made it so difficult to get to shoot.
Steve.

plumbs7

#75 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:52 am

Footsore wrote:Graham I have a new barrel on the way and will have another try with the 7-08ai. Found that my original barrel has some strange variances in diameter at the breech end which may have made it so difficult to get to shoot.
Steve.

Looking forward to seeing how u go with it !

Return to “Equipment & Technical”