F-Open Calibre Poll - All Round

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

What would you recommend as the best calibre for all Queens ranges 300 to 1000yds

243AI
1%
6.5x47
13%
6.5 Super LR
4%
6.5-08AI (various)
4%
6.5x55AI
6%
6.5-284
5%
7-08AI
3%
284 Win
45%
7 Shehane
6%
7 RSAUM
13%

Total votes: 230

AlanF

F-Open Calibre Poll - All Round

#1 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:39 am

Note there are 3 polls. This one is for all ranges from 300 to 1000yds. So if you must use a single calibre throughout a Queens shoot, what would you choose? Please base your choice on what you would recommend to others and I know its hard, but try not to be biased in favour of what you have.

AlanF

Re: F-Open Calibre Poll - All Round

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Something I said in an earlier thread and should have included here :

AlanF wrote:It isn't just asking for the most economical, the best theoretical performance, the easiest to load for, the easiest to get components for, or even the best recent performances. Its more of an assessment of all aspects, and what you would recommend for an F-Open shooter on an average budget with a reasonable amount of time on their hands who wants to be competitive at Queens level. It does need to be a proven calibre in Australia, and needs to take into account current realities, including the SSRs, the situation with ME limits, and component shortages etc.

Now here's something new with this poll - you can go back and change your choice. Your former choice will be removed from the count when you do that. So not only can you change it after further thought now, these polls will remain for you to access in future, to change if your opinion changes. Also if new (or old) calibres not in the choices become popular, then I may put them in the list in place of ones without votes. So this can become an ongoing and up to date guide.

BTW it wasn't working initially, so try again now if you want to change.

Bigtravoz

#3 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue May 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Interesting poll. This is something that I am working through at the moment and there are a lot of factors that com into play in the decision of what to do in regard to a lot of aspects here. Some aspects that I have had to consider with my current build are, what action, barrels, triggers and other associated hardware are available within the workable budget, availability of quality components of certain caliber, availability of the dies of chosen caliber, etc. lots of time pouring over ballistic charts and calculations, consideration of factors such as recoil and overall rifle weight and manageability. I am rather surprised that 6.5x47 was there as an option, but the manbun gun wasn’t (Creedmoor). I know what I have weighed up as the closest to optimum to suit my circumstances but if my circumstances were different I can certainly see how other options may be better in some regards. That said I wouldn’t be running some of the listed options regardless.

ben_g

#4 Postby ben_g » Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:Interesting poll. This is something that I am working through at the moment and there are a lot of factors that com into play in the decision of what to do in regard to a lot of aspects here. Some aspects that I have had to consider with my current build are, what action, barrels, triggers and other associated hardware are available within the workable budget, availability of quality components of certain caliber, availability of the dies of chosen caliber, etc. lots of time pouring over ballistic charts and calculations, consideration of factors such as recoil and overall rifle weight and manageability. I am rather surprised that 6.5x47 was there as an option, but the manbun gun wasn’t (Creedmoor). I know what I have weighed up as the closest to optimum to suit my circumstances but if my circumstances were different I can certainly see how other options may be better in some regards. That said I wouldn’t be running some of the listed options regardless.

Poll was made several years ago, prior to Creedmoor fever.

KHGS

#5 Postby KHGS » Mon May 20, 2019 10:22 pm

For me it has to be 7mm. As I tend to think outside the box, I can't vote above because my chosen 7mm variations are not listed, nor would I expect them to be. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Keith H.

Graham Mincham

#6 Postby Graham Mincham » Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I think this subject needs a serious revision or updating. The first thing I recommend to new F Open shooters is to learn to read wind because if you cannot do that it won't matter what you use. Human factors is far more important than a list of equipment options.

Having said that, then in the hands of a competent wind reader, good equipment is important and it needs to be well sorted out, or tuned. That's missing.

I am having trouble right now coming to grips with the latest projectile offerings on the market and this will skew future choices as we adjust to them. I am experimenting with many calibres at present and have not made any decision yet. But I think it would be wise to add the 6mm's to the list, for example the 6x47lapua, 6XC Tubb and the 6mm Creedmoor. I think many of us may be embarrassed when these are loaded with new projectiles like the Sierra 110HPBT.

I agree its time to revisit current preferences and expand the list.

We Australians should be forward-looking and we must continue do that if we wish to keep our international competitors wondering what we are doing right when we keep giving them a hammering in International team shoots. Anybody who has competed in International teams events knows there is more to success than equipment choice.

Gyro

#7 Postby Gyro » Tue May 12, 2020 7:21 am

Graham : your story speaks to the huge amount of variables in this game. That’s surely what makes it so bloody interesting ? It is nigh on impossible to prove anything in this game but I would suspect many have gravitated to the 7mm options for good reasons, apart from the obvious fact that they can shoot with serious precision when they are running right. If a 7mm/284 running 180 grain bullets can shoot 60.10’s in easy conditions, then why choose anything else ? It’s a proven combo and the 10kg platform can handle the increased gun upset of this choice, relative to say a 6mm choice.

I strongly believe many less experienced shooters will get 'easier' precision with the smaller projectile options purely because the bigger boolit options place a lot more emphasis on the platform due to the increased "gun upset" i.e. the more experienced shooters will have the required knowledge/experience to ensure thier total platform is sound, or at least has minimum weaknesses.

One of the questions I have is how many barrels some shooters are buying and trying to get one that goes really well ? To get that edge. I suspect that is a factor here too ?

CBH Australia

#8 Postby CBH Australia » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:10 pm

Old thread but how do people rate the 7-08ai?
I like my 7-08 Tikka CTR shooting pests from the car

Return to “Equipment & Technical”