Trigger cleaning and subsequent lubrication

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Barry R

Trigger cleaning and subsequent lubrication

#1 Postby Barry R » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:05 pm

Thank heavens I can't think of an appropriate emoticon to use.....does anyone else NOT need emoticons in their lives?
Anyway....when I regularly remove and clean the triggers on target rifles I'm usually make the final rinse in a 2 stroke-like mix with a little petrol and 2 stroke oil. Lately, I've been wondering if that wonderful, concentrated, automotive oil additive friction reducer I have for the car, used instead of just the usual 2 stroke oil, wouldn't be a better residue than a 'normal' oil.
Here's a chance....who has a favourite, but different, trigger lube technique, or maybe a comment on my proposed 'what if' use of a friction reducer mixed in a solvent, as a residue on the moving parts of triggers.

Barry R

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 pm

With the instructions that came with the Jewel trigger on my new rifle, they just recommend flushing it with lighter fluid after cleaning the barrel.

Michael

ned kelly

#3 Postby ned kelly » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:35 am

G'Day all,
yup lighter fluid, it get's in flushes out gunk and leaves no oily residue that attracts dust/dirt. A good trigger needs no oil.
Cheerio Ned

Chris Burdett

#4 Postby Chris Burdett » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:51 pm

Clean and dry, then a HINT of Break-free on the pins.
Chris B.

littlebang556

Trigger Lube

#5 Postby littlebang556 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm

I don't even have to remove my rifle from it's bedding to remove my trigger when I was it in acetone.
When I am real lazy I just give it a squirt of action blaster after I clean the barrel.
I also agree that a good trigger needs no oil but only as long it is cleaned ever time the barrel does.

Rob A

Return to “Equipment & Technical”