Case and projectile seating lubes

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Bigtravoz

Case and projectile seating lubes

#1 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Wondering what everyone else uses, I use a product I make myself and find it really good, works well dissolving carbon left on case necks prior to sizing and also for lubing projectiles prior to seating.

But please tell us what you all use.

Gyro

Re: Case and projectile seating lubes

#2 Postby Gyro » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:43 am

Ya don't gotta use any lube here comrade. Some would call this "a solution waiting for a problem ! My summation here is the bullets release 'effect' is a very small and probably insignificant percentage of the total pressure curve ?

Some testing Litz has done confirm this.

I still use painted on ( with a Q Tip ) a solution of micron sized graphite in a suspension of isopropyl alcohol just because it puts my head in a good place. I paint the inside of the neck.

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 am

a good case forming and sizing lube can be made using 1 part lanolin and 2 parts caster oil.
you can adjust the proportions a little as you see fit.
hornady 1 shot is good and quick for light f.l. sizing.
for neck sizing only, just dipping the case neck in graphite works well. this has the advantage of lubing the inside neck for bullet seating.
brushing the inside necks with graphite on a nylon brush will also lube them for bullet seating consistency.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

jcinsa

#4 Postby jcinsa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 am

Good to have you back on the forum Bruce !
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Bigtravoz

#5 Postby Bigtravoz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Gyro wrote:Ya don't gotta use any lube here comrade. Some would call this "a solution waiting for a problem ! My summation here is the bullets release 'effect' is a very small and probably insignificant percentage of the total pressure curve ?

Some testing Litz has done confirm this.

I still use painted on ( with a Q Tip ) a solution of micron sized graphite in a suspension of isopropyl alcohol just because it puts my head in a good place. I paint the inside of the neck.

More about making it easier on the case and projectiles jacket when seating than lubing the projectile as it travels down the barrel. But maybe that adds another question about moly coating to put to the brains trust.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”