Which is the best suited action for F-class?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

KHGS

Re: Which is the best suited action for F-class?

#16 Postby KHGS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13 am

AlanF wrote:I've only had an Omark and couple of Barnards, all obtained new. The Barnards are much more pleasant to use, and more forgiving if you have brass problems, and probably cause less brass problems. As far as comparisons with the US offerings, best to leave that to those who've had experience with a variety of them. But there is a couple of things on the Barnard that in my opinion could be improved upon. The screw cap on the end of the bolt is not an ideal arrangement. I would prefer to loosen it more often (to release tension on the spring), but don't because it has to be nipped up tight or it will loosen over the course of a shoot, and I suspect this has cost me points several times with inconsistent primer ignition. And more of a deficiency than a design fault is the relatively (to some US custom actions) short barrel tenon. Most experts agree that this is one of the limiting factors for the length and weight of barrel an action can handle. In F-Open, barrels can be up to about 5Kg and 34 inches. Its the main reason I've gone to a barrel clamp setup. That said, of all the major equipment selections I've made, choosing to go with Barnard from the outset in F-Open has been one of the best decisions.

Alan, the barrel tenon length in Barnards is not a problem if your man knows how to fit the barrel correctly (most don't)!!!!! :(
Keith H.

bobeager

#17 Postby bobeager » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:25 am

Some criteria to consider:-
Quality of manufacture, Engineering Tolerences
Lifetime Availability of Spare Parts, Upgrades and Service, paricularly w.r.t. Trigger and Bolt Assembly
Availability of Scope Rails, bedding Systems, barrel Spanners etc.
Suitabilty as a Platform for an accuracy gunsmith to perform A1 barrel fittment
Weight - Light to make weight in class but heavy enough to support chosen barrel profile
Appearance
Smootness of Operation
Availability in Reasonable timeframe.

+ 1 for Barnard on all counts, but have to admit, some of the imported polished actions do look sexy. But I want to shoot the thing, not take its photo. Agree with Keith, I have 3 Barnard Model P's, a handfull of stocks for F Open, F Standard, FTR and FLY, a handfull of barrels/calibres, and all a pretty much interchageable.

A BIG issue has to be the 2nd point above, "Lifetime Availability of Spare Parts, Upgrades and Service, paricularly w.r.t. Trigger and Bolt Assembly". No point in having a nice shiny USA made action if it is US for lack of repair/parts.

PS: I would love a nice polished Kelby Panda F Class, but would not buy one because of the above.

Brad Y

#18 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am

The pierce round action used previously had a very short tenon at 0.700". I was uncomfortable having the 1.25 straight krieger on it without the barrel clamp. The new multiflat pierce on order has the longer 1" tenon plus I dont run straight profile barrels anymore. Makes me feel a little more comfortable. What length is the barnard?

pjifl

#19 Postby pjifl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:51 am

Barnard tenon and thread

http://www.barnard.co.nz/images/Tech%20 ... 20.308.PDF

Given a 1.245 inch barrel diameter limit, I think what they have come up with is about the best compromise.

It is almost the same size I see published for most BATs.

Peter Smith.

Brad Y

#20 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Practically the same then. Ive seen big long barrels hung off barnards fine so if it ever appeals again at least I can feel a bit more comfortable.

AlanF

#21 Postby AlanF » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Re tenon length, I should add that nothing happened with my Barnards (prior to the barrel clamp) that suggested a problem. It was the weight of expert opinion that caused the concern. And Keith, my gunsmith definitely knows how to fit a Barnard. I reckon you might have shown him how :D .

Matt P

#22 Postby Matt P » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:27 pm

AlanF wrote:Re tenon length, I should add that nothing happened with my Barnards (prior to the barrel clamp) that suggested a problem. It was the weight of expert opinion that caused the concern. And Keith, my gunsmith definitely knows how to fit a Barnard. I reckon you might have shown him how :D .

Alan
You could be right :wink:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”