I finally ordered my new/first rifle & scope

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Foxy

I finally ordered my new/first rifle & scope

#1 Postby Foxy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:54 pm

Tikka T3 Super Varmint 308
Leupold VXIII6.5x20x50 in Silver
Thanks for all of the great advice.
I think I might celebrate.
Cheers.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 pm

Foxy,

I have the same scope (in silver too), which I use in F-Open. I would recommend it to anyone - it has never missed a beat. I hope your new toys give you a lot of fun! Keep us informed if you try it in F-Class.

Alan

Foxy

#3 Postby Foxy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:31 am

That's good to hear mate.
I will be using it soley for F Class Standard.
I'll let you know how it goes once she's been broken in.

DENNISG

GETTING THE RIGHT SCOPE

#4 Postby DENNISG » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi, I only commenced shooting this year Full Bore (7.62) and now due to golfers elbow have started F-Class a month ago and am thoroughly enjoying the challenge. My club does not have any experienced F classs shooters thus am looking for some advice:

I have a borrowed scope Tasco 6x24x40 and I wish to also compete in Match Rifle, thus need the scope to go from 300 yds to 1200 yds?? I currently do not have a sloped rail, thus require shims under the scope to attain yardage changes at longer ranges.

I saw your comments on the Leupold scope, can you advise if it would be suitable to my needs or any suggestions?

Thanks Dennis
Regards Dennis
"if you never ask, the answer is NO."

bully_eye

#5 Postby bully_eye » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:46 am

Dennis, the Leupold would be suitable for your needs and may JUST have enough built in elevation to reach 1200yds, but then again maybe not. It's never ideal to use the scope when it is near its' maximum in elevation adjustments so you would still be better off using a tapered base or rings- or shims. I was using a Leupold 8.5-25x50 scope on my 300 win mag F Open rifle (and was very happy with it) and would have had plenty of elevation left for 1200yds but I only needed a whisker over 15moa to go from 300m-800m.

Michael

bully_eye

#6 Postby bully_eye » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 am

Dennis, if you're quick there is a Leupold scope that will fit your requirements for sale on this site in the For Sale section of the forums.

Michael

#7 Postby Guest » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:18 am

Dennis,
The scope that Cameron has for sale is an excellent scope, I have 4 of them, however I am not sure you will get from 300 to 1200. The available moa is about 50 but thats from bottom to top and is not what you would call " useable" I am guessing a bit as I do not shoot 1200 yds but you would probably need in excess of 40 moa from 3 to 1200 maybe 44 but then with a better projectile you may get to 1200 at 40 moa.
The scope in question is a 1'' tube which restricts the available moa and requires a fairly precise ( angle ) tapered base on which to mount it so that you can use all of the available elevation. If you work near the top of the scopes travel at 1200 you will run out of windage, so the 1200 setting would need to be some 10 moa down from top max. This puts 300 at almost bottom which is not a good place to be. You need 300 to be around 10 moa from bottom.
What you really require is a scope with at least 65moa of travel, which means a 30mm tube.
The scope in question will easily do 300 to 1000, or if you was only doing match rifle 600 to 1200, but I doubt 300 to 1200.
The price Cameron is asking makes the scope a very good purchase for up to 1000yds. so anybody thinking about it, dont wait or you will miss out.
Barry

DENNISG

Leupold scope 4 sale

#8 Postby DENNISG » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks Michael & Barry for yr comments. Am doing a bit of fence sitting at the moment, been good to get these thgts. At this satage I definately will be looking for at least 65 MOA and just need to prepare the budget!!

TA Dennis
Regards Dennis
"if you never ask, the answer is NO."

Foxy

#9 Postby Foxy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi Dennis.
Sorry about the late reply mate.
I know the Leupold 6.5-20x50 is great out to 800m which is as far as my rifle range goes, so beyond that I can't say. I'm a newby too mate, so I'm not the best for advice.
I went to check out The NSW Queens competition the other week and was surprised at some of the gear these guys were using.
One guy was kicking but with a Nikko Stirling scope (about $300AUD) and another guy was also doing very well with a Lynx scope ($??? not much)
The guy with the Lynx has won 5 Queens with that scope fitted to a good rifle, so if your on a bit of a budget, check them out.
Most guys will point you toward the Nightforce or Leuplolds as they are very good glass, but I will suggest you do your homework before you purchase anything. I had already paid $1.275.00 for my scope before these guys laughed at me for wasting my cash??? Go figure!

Foxy

#10 Postby Foxy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:17 pm

Things have changed since I ordered that Tikka too.
I cancelled that order, sold my musical instruments and ordered the following set-up:
* .308 Barnard Model S action in silver (single shot Remington 700 clone with 3 locking lugs, no truing or blue printing required)
* A 30inch Krieger Palma Barrel with 1-13 Twist
* A black McMillan A-5 Tactical stock with thumbwheel adjustable cheekpeice, 3 way adjustable but plate and Anshultz accessories rail.
* The dealer/armourer/gunsmith/fellow club member who is building this expensive toy is providing a good trigger to suit.
* Fitting the Leupold scope I have already purchased.
* 20moa base and rings yet to be decided? Any advice???
Once she's built I have no-one else to blame for a poor shoot except me.
More than 3 times the price of the Tikka, but hey, we only live once???

bully_eye

#11 Postby bully_eye » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:36 pm

NEVER throw out the excuse book Foxy. If you have a bad day, you need to have at least 200 pages of excuses worked out. In fact the number of excuses you need is directly proportional to the amount you have spent on your equipment. Believe me, with the amount I've spent on my new FO rifle and the amount of time I have been waiting for it, I must have a few full length novels worth of excuses.... just in case.

Michael

ps I don't think anyone would have laughed at your choice of equipment with the Tikka rifle but I for one think that you have made a wise investment in your chosen sport by going with the Barnard. Better to spend more in the first place and get it right than spend a little less and end up having to update soon down the track. I'm no expect on offset rings or tapered bases- my 20moa rings came with the custom action on my rifle- but the Burris Signature Zee Rings seem to have a reasonable following. I'm currently sorting my next order from the States out, reading my latest Sinclair catalogue and they have 4 pages of long range options for scope mounting. I'm sure it will be easy enough to source something for your Barnard.

Matt P

#12 Postby Matt P » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:59 pm

Foxy
Yes both of those scopes are cheaper but do they have a life time warranty, how much internal adjustment and are they as clear as the leupold, the first two maybe the last I very much doubt it. I've been down the cheap scope path and wasted money doing so, wish I'd just bought the best to start with.
You,ve made some good choices with equipment let us know how it turns out.

Matt P

Foxy

#13 Postby Foxy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:39 pm

Cheers Matt.
That's music to my ears.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”