RCBS chargemaster ????

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

RCBS chargemaster ????

#1 Postby Tim N » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am

Hi All,
I received my replacement scale section to my chargemaster combo and when using it I noticed the weight registered when the pan was removed varied from -160.2 to -160.7 ???
When the pan was placed back it would go to 0 and charge away.
From memory -160.7 was the weight which used to show up on my old scales.
I let it warm up for 1/2 hr and the power supply goes through a filter.
Any thoughts?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

BATattack

Re: RCBS chargemaster ????

#2 Postby BATattack » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 am

Static or any sort of air movement will cause that quite easily. I've noticed error in other scales from static on my cloths as well.

aaronraad

#3 Postby aaronraad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 am

I also noticed issues with having the mobile phone in the room and running the basic radio. My scales are mains powered through an adaptor so you can see when you have voltage fluctuations. I still think there was some interference from radio signals in close proximity to the digital scales.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

John23

#4 Postby John23 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:19 am

With out googleing the specs

I recall that the chargemaster scale is +/-0.3gr So straight up you got 0.6gr of variation.
Then there is the external factors such as electro/magnetic fields, temperature ect.

Are you using your chargemaster under fluro lights?

When receiving a little training from a old benchrest shooter some years back he told me the story of a shooter in a major comp that was using a charge master.

Curious shooters were given the opportunity of giving it a testdrive and what they found was that from when they started early in the morning to when they finished that afternoon with the chargemaster left on the same setting charge grew by 1.3gr.

On the flip side I also know a fly shooter that wins his share of awards that only uses a chargemaster.....

For me personally I have more faith in my beam scales.
And if I want to speed things up I will invest in a Harrell powder thrower.

JH ;)

6.5x55ai

#5 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am

Tim N wrote:Hi All,
I received my replacement scale section to my chargemaster combo and when using it I noticed the weight registered when the pan was removed varied from -160.2 to -160.7 ???
When the pan was placed back it would go to 0 and charge away.
From memory -160.7 was the weight which used to show up on my old scales.
I let it warm up for 1/2 hr and the power supply goes through a filter.
Any thoughts?

Interested in your starting comment?? I have just replaced my scales on my CM. Have had the unit for around 7 years and the scales died - came up with a fatal error code so had to fork out for the scales part (seriously considered going to the latest Lyman instead).
I run mine through a PS filter - which in reality doesn't make the mains any cleaner but will protect against random spikes. Am aware of the fluro issues so no fluros near mine, or cell phones etc. Your problem sounds a bit more substantial than +- accuracy though.
I don't rely on the CM - the load is then checked on an expensive electronic scales. Generally though I am only seeing an error of +- 0.1 grain, but depends upon the powder being used.

6.5x55ai

#6 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:44 am

With respect to the pan weight when removed - my original pan weighed 153.1 sometimes dropping to 153.0. The pan for the new scales weights 150.5 sometimes dropping to 150.4 so only a 0.1 change for 2 different sets of scales. Whilst loading I make a habit of hitting the zero button every now and again even though the scale may show zero when the pan is put back on the scales. And I put both my CM and my other electronic scales on anything up to 2 hours b4 I am due to load. My separate electronic scales I run through an external battery pack (it ate the internal double a's like a dog at breakfast). Running it on the AC supplied PS I perceived I had more zero drift than on pure batteries.
I don't trust my CH but having said that I have yet to catch it out being more than 0.1 out.
Still got my good old Ohaus in the cupboard!!

Barry Davies

#7 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 am

My good lady won one last year ( at a Queens ) sold it within the hour.
Slow, inaccurate, unreliable.
Best to spend a bit extra and invest in a 120i.
Fast, accurate, reliable.

Longranger

#8 Postby Longranger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:06 am

Some people love the things. For me a Redding 3BR thrower, A&D FX120i and a trickler works quickly and is accurate.

Nearly bought a chargemaster years ago... so glad I didn't :) .

Having used an RCBS rangemaster 750 scale and found the drift issues it had, forewarned me that chargemaster was not going to be a whole lot better.

BATattack

#9 Postby BATattack » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:29 am

I've have the range master set and a chargemaster.

The chargemaster re calibrates itself every time it gets close to its zero. So if you leave the pan on and walk away it will follow the drift any slight gust of wind it will try and chase that as zero. Leave the pan off. When you come back place the pan on and let it zero. If has drifted to much to recalibrate itself to the pan use the check weights again.

My charge master will weigh to mostly under .1 either way and the MAX I have seen it out has been .14 without it showing an error warning.

Hunting, club shoots and your causual OPM's it will be good enough. More than that you might be expecting a bit much

6.5x55ai

#10 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:10 am

I love my Chargemaster - but very much a case of horses for courses. If loading piles of 308 or 223 (yeh, I know, wrong forum) for a cull the CM is good enough and quick enough. If loading F Class it's CM first, then Sartorrius, then into Wilson. Not really that slow.

At any rate the poor old OP is not getting much advise on his problems just opinions on his choice of using a CM. :D :D

Tim N

#11 Postby Tim N » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi All
Just got back from the Goulburn shoot
My 284 with loads made on my new charge master shot woefully
Not sure if it was the CM but as every shooter knows it's against the rules to blame yourself #-o
I will be checking my cm
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi All
Just set up my CM 30 min ago
Calibrated and zeroed pan, removed pan and kept an eye on the scale.
so far:
Removed pan for - 160.6 then it drifted to 160.0 then rose to 162.2 over 30 min variation of 2.2gns :shock:
Me thinks it should go back

Havnfun

#13 Postby Havnfun » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Tim,
Does your scale also drift when you use your test/ calibration weight?
I have an early model RCBS electronic scale which I warm for 30 minutes before use and then calibrate , using ohaus test weights that were supplied when the scale was purchased new.
It performs flawlessly and has done for more than twenty years.
If you are using the scales in a temperature constant area with no draft issues and removed as much static electricity as possible and they still vary , time to return them :D

6.5x55ai

#14 Postby 6.5x55ai » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Tim N wrote:Hi All
Just set up my CM 30 min ago
Calibrated and zeroed pan, removed pan and kept an eye on the scale.
so far:
Removed pan for - 160.6 then it drifted to 160.0 then rose to 162.2 over 30 min variation of 2.2gns :shock:
Me thinks it should go back

Just done exactly the same check you have detailed above - fired up (no pre-warm up period as I would normally do), calibrated, placed pan and zeroed. Removed pan and reading -153.1gr. 30 minutes later -153.2gr. 30 minutes later again flicking between -153.1 and -153.2.

BRETT B

#15 Postby BRETT B » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:09 am

I got given a Charge Master a while back to try out for a few months , And I also have a GEN6 Lyman as well. I thought the CM would be miles ahead of the Lyman in terms of accuracy and repeatable weights but I was proven very WRONG. The Lyman killed it in consistency of measured weight and everytime i checked both with a few different calibration weights for accuracy the CM was always of by 2-3 tenths , sometimes more !! The Lyman was Rock solid and displayed the correct weight of the calibration weights . The CM does have more Bells and whistles than the Lyman but was far less reliable!! I gave the CM back and Kept the Lyman !!!
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”