Scope size?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Foxy

Scope size?

#1 Postby Foxy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Please advise the minimum scope size I would require to shoot from 300 to 800metres. I am on a budget so think up to $850max.
The scope will be mounted on a .308 & I know it's a wank, but I'd prefer a silver scope so it matches my stainless barrel.
I know aesthetics are the last thing I should be conserned about, but
you know?

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:28 pm

Scope size per se isn't really the important issue when choosing optics although weight is- along with consistant tracking and bright, clear optics. Some of the tactical type scope would have plenty of elevation built in for you to reach out to 800m with a 308 but in general, you would be better off getting offset rings or a tapered base with 20moa built in elevation to help keep your reticle as centred as possible within the scope body. Magnification is a personal thing. A fixed or variable with magnification in the mid x20's would probably be ideal- some like more and some less. Then there is the choice of reticle which again is a personal preference. IN the price range you are looking at, I would suggest looking at Weaver scopes as they have a good reputation, although I've never personally used one. I'm pretty sure you can get a silver one as well.

Michael

Cameron Mc

#3 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:38 pm

For me the Weaver 24x is hard to beat. Accurate adjustments, light, reasonable price and available in silver!
Fine cross and 1/8 dot makes for accurate aiming.

Cameron

Simon C

#4 Postby Simon C » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:47 pm

The lynx tactical scopes (same model as the fixed x20 tasco) would fit the bill. I set a rifle up for new shooter at our club with one of these on a 20moa rail. Zeroed at 300m, it performed well out to 1000yds. Optically it wasnt too bad and the adjustments were sound. It had a mildot reticle and mirage was easy to read thru it. Parallax adjustement is on the eye piece where the variable ring is usually located. It was no NXS, but it did the job and for the money, i reckon they are a good buy. The other lynx worth a look is the professional 3.5-10x50...they go for about $500-500 with a choice of reticles. That would be fine out to 800m but it depends, as Bullyeye said, what u like in terms of magnification.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

pjifl

#5 Postby pjifl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:44 am

Just to add to the the other good advice, I consider 10X magnification quite limiting. To me 20 is about the minimum and consider 25 my preference for a best compromise for all ranges- for me that is.

With 10X you can still shoot very accurately but only if you always aim in the centre. If you want the option of precision aimoff in my opinion its too low a mag.

I am quite happy with a fixed high mag scope. Its main disadvantage is when you want to chronograph shots.

Scope diameter need not be massive. At 20X, a 42 mm diam is adequate for most lighting conditions. Dont ever see a need for wider than 50 mm unless you want a really high power scope - which I do not recommend.

If a scope has tracking problems - and all brands sometimes have this problem - aim off rather than wind knob twiddling can minimize the problem. This technique makes a cheaper scope far more capable.

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”