Howa+Nikko for starters?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Foxy

Howa+Nikko for starters?

#1 Postby Foxy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Okay I've had a reality check.
What do you think of the following set-up for a newby to FS
Rifle: Howa Varminter Supreme .308
Scope: Nikko Stirling Diamond Series
I would love to purchase something much better, but $'s are getting lower by the bill.
Would it be worth getting the the Howa action trued & how much $'s should I expect to pay?
Some feedback please.

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 pm

look at a remington.
bruce.

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:24 am

Foxy I would go Rem as well
Allot easier to get trued and have a good reputation for accuracy even straight out of the box. There are also many more options as far as after market parts and accessories good second hand 700BDL will set you back 500-800 bucks.
Cheers
P.S. I use a trued Rem 700 action Sleeved but would have been better of buying a Barnard or Stiller Python
Keep your eyes open for second hand stuff in the ATR or Shooters journal
Cheers
RB

Daniel

#4 Postby Daniel » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:33 am

Foxy;
I would seroiusly look at a Remington as there are loads of people making aftermarket parts for them. They are easy to work with being a cylindrical action and basic parts are easy to come by.
Otherwise, an Omark might be the way to look. They aren't as "user friendly" :) as a Remington, but there a lots of them about at reasonable prices. Plenty of people make parts for these too.

Basically, buy the best you can afford and cry once. You can always sell good equipment, but it's hard to sell lesser quality.

A word on Nikko scopes. There are 2 of them here at the range I shoot on, they both ran out of elevation between 7 & 800 yards. One of them even affected the windage when it was wound to its extremity. One is on a .223, the other on a .308.

ned kelly

#5 Postby ned kelly » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:46 pm

G'day foxy,
go the remington.............you wont regret it!
I've used them as BR rifles, hunting rifles, and now F class. All of the replies you've had are bang on. [no pun intended!]
Cheerio Ned

Return to “Equipment & Technical”