Who is making rifle rest?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John23

Who is making rifle rest?

#1 Postby John23 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi

I have been unsuccessfully finding a variety of bench rest on the net.
When doing a google search even the more common rest like SEB and Farly do not appear and I only seem to be finding pages from local gunshops selling these big foam box things.

So what I am aware of is

SEB
Farley
Caldwell
Sinclair

There must be more out there. If so who makes them and can they be purchased in Australia?

I dont particularly want to spend more than 1K and I dont want to be in a 12 month waiting list.
Do I live in a dream world?

Joystick or not......
I am really not sure. I have used joystick in the past but I am now wondering if it offers any advantage except for speedy changes in direction.

I tend to rush my details a bit and I am wondering if the joystick was perhaps to my disadvantage.
The rest will also be used for 200m rimfire fly .

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John23 ;)

Barry Davies

Re: Who is making rifle rest?

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Have a look at the Victorian F Class Association web site--there is a locally made one advertised there.

Barry Davies

#3 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:57 pm

oops, sorry about that. Looks like he does'nt make them anymore.

John23

#4 Postby John23 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Glad you could not find it either. Thought it was me for a moment there

JH ;)

MCLE

#5 Postby MCLE » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Have a look at Dolphin in the UK.Mik makes a wicked bench rest coaxial stand but might be a little bit more than you won't to spend.
Thanks Michael H

6602steven

#6 Postby 6602steven » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:25 pm

John also look at butch lamberts shade tree joystick top. They fit to bases like the caldwell BR rest. I believe you may have used one at Mega's place a while back

I think he got his through BRT but they may not still do them

steve

John23

#7 Postby John23 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks Steve

Yes I now remember the rest.
I still chat to Mega from time to time and might see if he has it and will get it go.
Seeing he has the Farley and all...

Hope things are well mate.
Will have to have a shoot together again

JH ;)

MaxBC

#8 Postby MaxBC » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 am

These are by no means cheap but they look pretty damn nice.
http://www.varidecicognani.it/en/produc ... ing_rests/

BATattack

#9 Postby BATattack » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:24 pm

I've built a few . . .tried a few. . But the seb neo is bloody hard to beat! Well made, plenty of adjustment, very strong and once you make a couple for yourself you realize that they are actually pretty good value for money for the quality!

Fergus Bailey

#10 Postby Fergus Bailey » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 am

I shot a Farley rest in Benchrest competition from 2004 until 2012. I have shot a Seb NEO since then, and believe the NEO is the best joystick rest on the market (except perhaps for Seb's "Max" rest, though I haven't tried one yet).

I also have a few different pedestal rests and they are very solid to shoot from. However since shooting the joystick rest for so long, I can not go back to a pedestal. I have tried for several months at a time, but always end up going back to a joystick. Through that process, I have convinced myself I am not giving up anything with a joystick rest, and there are many benefits that come with using the joystick over a traditional pedestal rest.

The only down side of Seb's success has been his long waiting list for new rests. One option, though its out of your price range - QRA is showing the Seb NEO Max in stock at the moment: http://www.q-store.com.au/products/seb- ... front-rest.

Brad Y

#11 Postby Brad Y » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:17 am

Who is the distributor for SEB in Aus? Or does Seb have an up to date website for his gear?

John23

#12 Postby John23 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 pm

The seb is simply out of my budget.
I may look for second hand options when the time is right or perhaps consider the Sinclair comp windage rest.

Anyone tried one of the Sinclairs?

I also considered the Shadetree top but once you source a base you are into big money again and I am guessing with sloppy course elevation adjustment.

JH ;)

ecomeat

#13 Postby ecomeat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Brad Y wrote:Who is the distributor for SEB in Aus? Or does Seb have an up to date website for his gear?

Rob Cantrell , who owns the Aussie BenchRest site " BenchRest Bulletin", has been the Distributor for SEB Neo's.
The following link is to a recent add on their classifieds offering to sell a CAldwell rest
http://www.benchrestbulletin.net/drupal/node/2707. I did try to buy a tumbler and some moly gear off the rooster advertising this rest a while back, and he never returned emails, answered his mobile, nor responded to SMS's. Worth a try for the original OP though, as the price seems OK.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

John23

#14 Postby John23 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:54 pm

I used to have a Caldwell joystick that I modified to work better.
It did the job quite well but I sold it and moved onto the itea of ftr.

Now I am going to a 6br I feel that I want to go back to a rest to squeeze as much accuracy I can from the thing.

Although the Caldwell worked quite well I am thinking I deserve something a little more special this time

JH ;)

Barossa_222

#15 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Mate, I looked around like you crunching the numbers and seeing what was around and I ended up with a SEB Neo. Buy once, cry once. I got mine from Benchrestbulletin.net. I reckon it was a $400 deposit straight up front with no guarantee of time frame. I waited 6 months, then got a confirmation email saying when it was due and to pay the $800 plus post for it to be released. The guys name is Rob Carnell. At the moment the dollar is all over the shop and they aren't specifying a price on them so it could be anything.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”