Advice on Winchester brass quirk?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Advice on Winchester brass quirk?

#1 Postby DenisA » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a silly question.

I shoot a .300wsm :lol:

I've been using Norma brass in the past and due to poor availability, I've gone to Winchester. I've never used it before. These cases have been fired 3 times. When inspecting them after a clean tonight, I noticed a dead straight line that runs the length of the case. On this one case the line will catch my finger nail. There are a few other cases that a line can be seen but my finger nail won't feel it.

From what I've read, I understood that brass shells were formed up from a brass button. These lines look like some kind of seam??

I've never seen anything like this with Norma, Lapua or Federal.

There's only one on each case, so it's not an impression from the chamber.

No line can be seen from inside the case.

What is this line?

Is this typical of Winchester brass?

Should I be concerned that my nail catches this particular line?

Thanks.....

Steve N

Re: Advice on Winchester brass quirk?

#2 Postby Steve N » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:33 am

Denis could it be a scratch from ejection? Perhaps a tiny piece of crap that the case is sliding over when being pulled out?

Barry Davies

#3 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:14 am

More likely to be from your die -- a rust spot maybe. Easily checked, simply run a case through again and see if another scratch appears.

DenisA

#4 Postby DenisA » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:12 am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

It's definitely not a scratch. The line runs from the head all the way over the shoulder and down the neck. It's dead straight and consistent in depth the whole length.. I've never run the ejector spring in the bolt head, so the case is not being scraped along the side of the chamber or action as it's being extracted.

Under a magnifying glass, on this case, it looks like a cut rather than a scratch. It looks like 2 edges meeting as a seam would.

As I said, other case have a fine line that can be seen but not felt yet.

I' haven't put these cases through a FL die yet. I've only neck sized them. There's no rust in my dies, there clean, well kept and lubed.

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 pm

I have a few hundred 300WSM cases here, a including Winchester and none of mine have this scratch. My Winchester brass has all been very good.

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:43 pm

RDavies wrote:I have a few hundred 300WSM cases here, a including Winchester and none of mine have this scratch. My Winchester brass has all been very good.

G'day Rod, thanks for your post. There's a lot on the net about them splitting necks but I haven't found anything like this yet. I'll keep looking.

I can't even attribute it to a batch number. I never mix batches as a rule of thumb................. except for this time.... :oops:
I bought 350 which was all I could scrape up from around the traps at the time and they were all different batch numbers. I mixed them all and weight sorted them into 1gn lots as they varied so much even within the same batch number. Neck concentricity has been fantastic with out turning.

macguru

#7 Postby macguru » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:47 am

why not cut that one open , clean the inside and see if you can see the seam on the inside. If you can, chuck them away, if its just a few
if not, keep shooting the rest with the line and try again to look inside when one gets worse to see if the seam is all the way thru
id quod est

ecomeat

#8 Postby ecomeat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:32 am

Denis,
Use your Borescope to look inside the case.......and take a photo or two please and post them here :D and give us a description of what you see .
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Seddo

#9 Postby Seddo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I would be more worried that your chamber isnt straight!!! :D
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

johnk

#10 Postby johnk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Denis,

Does that chatter seen in the extractor cutout extend all around the case or is it restricted to the width of the anomoly on the body? Is it consistent on all the suspect cases, more to the point?

John

DenisA

#11 Postby DenisA » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:45 pm

G'day Seddo, why are you thinking the chamber may not being straight?

G'day John. That chatter looking business is just the reflection of all the LED lights around the magnifying lens that I took the photo through.

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Its not in focus, but the line goes down the shoulder and neck. I think that rules out the die, and probably any scratching. Necks split often - why wouldn't the body split if the brass is bad? It looks similar to the start of case separation, but at right angles. I would do a cross-section cut at the worst point to see if its also happening on the inside.

macguru

#13 Postby macguru » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 am

I agree with the idea that its the beginning of a case split. I have just found a few 260 AI cases that were overworked and they have a seam low down on the case body at right angles to the one in this thread , but it looks very similar and uncannily regular in appearance

andrew
id quod est

DenisA

#14 Postby DenisA » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 pm

G'day All,

I have a habit of dragging up old threads.

Concerning the same batch of brass, I started uniforming another weight group this week and found a dodgy case. I think it must be an exaggerated example of why there may be visible lines in some of these case.

You can see faintly the same line running up the body just off centre to the right of the fold in the neck/shoulder.

Any one seen this before? Any idea's why its like this?

johnk

#15 Postby johnk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:39 am

Not that specifically but folds in brass during the manufacture process aren't common, but known - and worse. Keith, remember that factory case that had a pressed on inclusion through the head, resulting in severe gas leakage on firing?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”