6mm BR build help

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John Brownrigg

6mm BR build help

#1 Postby John Brownrigg » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:38 am

Hi All!

Can anyone give assist me in advising me the optimum barrel length and twist for a 6mmBR for FO?

Using 107G Sierra MK's or Hornady A-max.

What MOA mount/bridge taper is ideal for 300-900 yards in 6mm BR?

When using moly bullets do you run-in "naked" bullets first or will moly be ok first up?

It is just possible that a new barrel will not run-in successfully with moly first-up due to their increased lubricity over standard copper?

I am just asking so don't roll around the floor with laughter!

Thanks

John Brownrigg.

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm no expert with the BR but think you will find most using 1:8 twist to stabilise the heavier bullets and most barrels seem to be in the 28"-30" range. As for breaking the barrel in for molly bullets, here is the procedeure that Berger Bullets recommend for cleaning and breaking in the barrel... not the only way and each to their own I guess

Cleaning
1. Push one patch wet with Kroil Oil through the barrel
2. Repeat step 1.
3. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Push one patch wet with Butch's Bore Shine through the barrel.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Let the barrel soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
9. Repeat step 8.
10. Using short strokes back and forth push one patch wet with USP or JB Bore Paste through the barrel.
11. Push one patch wet with Kroil through the barrel.
12. Repeat step 11 twice.
13. Push one dry patch through the barrel.
14. Repeat step 13 three times.
15. Use bore scope or visually inspect muzzle for copper fouling.
16. If copper is present repeat steps 10 through 15.
17. If you are storing the rifle push one patch wet with quality gun oil through the barrel.)

For running a new barrel in for molly:

1. Shoot one Moly Coated bullet then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
2. Repeat step 1 five times.
3. Shoot three Moly Coated bullets then clean using the Moly Coated cleaning procedure listed above.
4. Repeat step 3 five times.

So you are looking at about a 20 round break in if you follow the above procedure. Most shooting naked bullets seem to run them in with about 10 rounds or so. The longer breaking in will be the result of reduced friction I would say.

As for mounts, it depends on the scope you are using. Leupold scopes seem to have endless elevation in them whereas Nightforce have a lot less. A 20moa tapered base or rings would be ok with either though. For the long range game, a 30mm tube will give you an advantage with elevation and windage over a 1".

I'm sure others who shoot the BR will be able to give you some good advice as well.

Michael

mitchellchandler_au

#3 Postby mitchellchandler_au » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:18 pm

How ya going mate?

I have had a 6mmbr made on a remington action, I would go with a 1:8 twist to handle the the 105-107 range. and in the 28-30 inch length just like bully_eye thinks. If you havent already go to www.6mmbr.com they have the most info that i have ever seen on the 6mm. Just out of curiosity are you neck turning your brass.
Firepower usally means an increased number of misses per minute. 50 misses are not firepower. One hit is firepower

Return to “Equipment & Technical”