Good News For The 284W Crowd

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

williada

Re: Good News For The 284W Crowd

#16 Postby williada » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Craig, do you think Alan wants you guys to hone in on condition reading, as you can bet not much will separate competitors on gear preparation? :) The delay between shooters taking their shots should provide interesting group patterns. :mrgreen:

Norm

#17 Postby Norm » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Maybe a consortium of Aussie shooters could contract Bertram to make some Aussie .284 brass.
I have used his brass extensively in other calibres. It has outlasted every other brand of brass I have tried.

OuttaAmmo

#18 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Norm wrote:Maybe a consortium of Aussie shooters could contract Bertram to make some Aussie .284 brass.
I have used his brass extensively in other calibres. It has outlasted every other brand of brass I have tried.

Wasn't this talked about? As well as perhaps a "lengthened" 284w case?

Cheers
Casey

AlanF

#19 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:51 am

Norm wrote:Maybe a consortium of Aussie shooters could contract Bertram to make some Aussie .284 brass.

From your experience Norm, how would you expect it to be in terms of price? (assuming a run of say 20,000 cases)

BATattack

#20 Postby BATattack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:03 pm

From what I hear he isn't overly interested :-( he was approached to make some 7saum brass but would rather make 338lap for the yanks and ruskies! Matter of volume I suppose but it would be interesting if he changed his mind if a few others made inquiries.

ecomeat wrote:I won't be getting too excited just yet .
I have used Norma 6.5 x 284 brass and just necked it up . All of that was fine, but I had far more ridiculously loose primer pockets in this brand new, unfired brass, than I have in Lapua brass that has 6 + firings. Quality Control team were all taking a break when mine went through, apparently.

I also use Nosler Custom Brass in a 280AI......made for them by Norma.......supposedly top level QA, match prepped etc and weight ranged to +\- 0.5 gr. The "Weight Ranged" claim is absolute bullshit, as I have them over 2gr weight difference out of the same box.
So with that sort of Quality Control from Norma that I have witnessed with my own eyes, I think I will happily keep using Lapua, at this point in time. :mrgreen:

I've been very impressed with 2 lots of 300saum cases I necked down to 7mm. During pressure testing of NEW Un work hardened cases I could get at least 7 loads at 3080fps. I don't run that hot anymore but not because if case life. All of my cases were very consistent and VERY firm to seat a primer from new. No loose/ tight as you described.

Another mate has said he has around 18 loads on some of his brass and still has tight primers and he runs a lot hotter than me!

It will be interesting to see how my new batch goes . . . . Hopefully we'll coz I've got a few of them!!

Conversely I've had lapua brass running mild load toast primers in no time. . . . Next batch . . Same load .. . Same barrel . .no worries!!

It seems to matter more about batches then actual brands to me.

Seddo

#21 Postby Seddo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:32 pm

BATattack wrote:From what I hear he isn't overly interested :-( he was approached to make some 7saum brass but would rather make 338lap for the yanks and ruskies! Matter of volume I suppose but it would be interesting if he changed his mind if a few others made inquiries.

Bruce makes cases by the "tonne" for overseas markets, i can understand why he wouldn't be too keen to tool up to make a few thousand.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

macguru

#22 Postby macguru » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:34 pm

""
Andrew,

I've found the following two lots to be okay : P00620601, P00701403. Are yours from either of these?

""

Alan, yes , the 100 I am using are P00701403. I have used loads between 49.8-52.3gr 2209 there seems to be nodes high and low but in between (the 51s) i am not getting great results, so i am now developing 2 loads, one high , one low
id quod est

Norm

#23 Postby Norm » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:50 pm

I will contact Bruce and see what he has to say.
He is now starting to make different cartridges again.
Recently he started to produce, .300 RUM, .338 Edge and .300 Win Mag brass.

I did test his .338 Edge brass for him when the first batch was made. Loaded it up with a HOT load and 300gn bullets. Fired the same three bits of brass multiple times. Gave up after fifteen reloads each as the primer pockets never looked like getting loose.
Very strong brass.

OuttaAmmo

#24 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Seddo wrote:
BATattack wrote:From what I hear he isn't overly interested :-( he was approached to make some 7saum brass but would rather make 338lap for the yanks and ruskies! Matter of volume I suppose but it would be interesting if he changed his mind if a few others made inquiries.

Bruce makes cases by the "tonne" for overseas markets, i can understand why he wouldn't be too keen to tool up to make a few thousand.

What if we let him sell them overseas too? :lol:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”