7mm wssm potential f open round??

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

plumbs7

7mm wssm potential f open round??

#1 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:15 am

Hi yep , I'm on holidays and have a little time to play with!
Ok I'm defiantly going down the 7mm Suam route! But has anyone wildcatted 25wssm case out to 7mm? Or could someone please run it through quickload to see if it is potentiall long rage candidate.

Have looked it up on google , there was a reamer for it at tool and gauge but 7mm-243wssm, not much out there on potential velocities from a 30" barrel and a 180gr pill. Or maybe 6.5 wssm maybe better?

What are people's thoughts on the above calibre?
Regards Graham.

Steve N

Re: 7mm wssm potential f open round??

#2 Postby Steve N » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 am

Hi Graham, Have you considered the 7mm GTHO? :) Would go well with your car! :) Seriously if you can stick to a more common cartridge in 7mm you will be able to get dies and loading advice etc much easier. Also with the more common rounds there is help around if you run into problems. There is probably a good reason that the 284's and SAUMs etc are commonly used and I doubt that the WSSM would have enough powder capacity for the larger 7mm pills. The 6.5 might work OK but why not a 6.5x47L or a 260?
Having said that if you prefer to go with something a bit different go for it! You might be on a winner. 8)
Steve

Seddo

#3 Postby Seddo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Footsore wrote:Having said that if you prefer to go with something a bit different go for it! You might be on a winner. 8)
Steve

Different is good but not always the best route. I would say go for it.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

BATattack

#4 Postby BATattack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:26 pm

The wssm would have a fairly similar capacity to a 7-08 7-08ai wouldn't it? 6.5 variant would be close to the 260? Rod would probaly be the man to answer your questions. I like some exotic things but comp guns that you need to rely on need some flexibility in component options.

plumbs7

#5 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:13 pm

7mm GTHO sounds good , does it have a 351 cleavland it Steve? Lol!
Yep obviously sticking with saum and 284 win/Sheehan or 6.5 lap is the go. Plans are at this stage are 7mm saum, my Kelby in 6.5 lap , then anoth rifle in 6 mm dasher !
Only thinking 2-3 yrs in advance !

I just thought wssm in 6.5 would be interesting . But it's hard when u have to get others to chamber ur barrels . Eg lead time is long, sometimes if it's just experimenting.

Thanks for the comments , I'll watch anymore comments with interest! G

Return to “Equipment & Technical”