moly coating

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chopper

moly coating

#1 Postby Chopper » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:05 pm

can anyone tell me a bit about this, 1 where to buy, 2 how to do,ive read some interesting stuff on this on the yanky sites and appears to have a lot of positives,CHOP.

Andrew~Smith

Moly coating

#2 Postby Andrew~Smith » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:58 am

Hi Chopper , I use Moly Z powder made by Dow corning . I got a small bottle via Ebay .. but I know you can also get it from industrial suppliers like CBC bearings or Blackwoods ( if they are feeling motivated to help ) as well as places like http://www.sinclairintl.com ( online order / from the US )
I also tried a different approach to the actual coating of the bullets ( being bit of a tinkerer and wanting to get things done fast rather than the 3 - 4 hours for tumbling I had read about ) . I went to bunnings hardware , bought a $20 palm sized orbital sander . I clamp this up side down in a bench vice with rubber vice protectors to absorb some of the vibration and noise . I then get a rectangular plastic air tight kitchen container ( food container ) about 500 ml in size . Add 1 teaspoon of powder , about 100 30 cal projectiles that have been cleaned in hot soapy water then rinsed off with Metho or lighter fluid and allowed to dry . Cable tie the container to the base of the sander and turn on for 5 - 7 minutes . When complete , dump the contents into a sieve with a clean piece of paper underneath .. shake to separate the moly and return the extra powder to the container . Then put the coated projectiles in an old towel , roll up ( into a tube ) holding each end and shake back and forth to remove the extra moly and polish the projectiles . So far I have coated about 500 projectiles with the same 1 teaspoon of powder so it does last a long time . Andrew Smith

Andrew~Smith

Moly powder

#3 Postby Andrew~Smith » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 pm

As a side thought , Moly powder is hydroscopic ( absorbs moisture ) . The bottle I got via ebay must have been opened / old stock as the powder was " clumpy " rather than a very fine - free flowing powder . To fix this I spread it out on some Aluminium foil in my oven on low for about 1 hour to drive out the moisture ( also dried out my moisture absorbing silica gel packs at the same time ) . The powder is now stored in an air tight container with a silica gel pack in it to keep it dry .

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Chopper,

Pro-Cal has moly powder in small lots.

Another idea for tumbling is to bind a plastic container in a towel and put it in the clothes dryer!

Alan

Peter Marum

clothes dryer

#5 Postby Peter Marum » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:21 am

Alan,
If i put anything like that in the clothes dryer, you would hear my beating in Maffra. Some how i do not think "she must be obeyed" would not understand.

Peter

balcom

Re: clothes dryer

#6 Postby balcom » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:48 am

Peter Marum wrote:Alan,
If i put anything like that in the clothes dryer, you would hear my beating in Maffra. Some how i do not think "she must be obeyed" would not understand.

Peter

Hi Peter
I built one with a 12v windscreen wiper motor and a 150mm dia piece of conduit, glued one end and put on a screw end onto a piece 150mm long and put in 3 pieces of 20x20mm timber to grab the projectiles, works very well and tumbles at the right speed.
PeterH

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:54 am

Peter M

Yes the clothes dryer would be risky. If something went wrong it could be "she who must be grovelled to for a considerable length of time"! :shock:

Alan

Return to “Equipment & Technical”