What Aiming Method

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Cameron Mc

What Aiming Method

#1 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Just wondering how scopes are used to adjust for conditions.
I have my windage zeroed and aim off for all shots. A slow marker can be a trap with this method.

Cameron

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi Cameron.

I use two meathods depending how much the wind changes during my 10 shots.

if its a calm day i aim off as long as its not to much.

On a MBRC normal day (up to 3 mins of shift) i adjust the scope.

if i have fishtails...i aim off regardless!

recently i shot a string of 6's while aiming in the 4 ring at 9-o-clock and then in the 4 ring at 3-o-clock!....now that was hairy!!!!

each to his own and then it depends on the conditions :lol:
Last edited by Tony Q on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Mark Hamersley

#3 Postby Mark Hamersley » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Hi Cameron

I'm pretty much with Tony on this. I tend to adjust the scope - I guess it comes from my fullbore background - in almost all cases. If the wind shifts are subtle I'll aim off. I'm not going to pretend one works better than the other, I still manage to misread the changes often enough!

Mark

Cochran

#4 Postby Cochran » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:37 am

Hi guys

Here in the states, most but not all of the better shooters hold off. We try to get a good zero with our sighters and hold off no matter what the condition. Ocasionally we will make a few elevation clicks if we start climbing due to heat.
I think new shooters tend to crank knobs alot then hold off more as they get more familiar with wind/mirage reading.

Jeff Cochran
Texas

pjifl

What Aiming Method

#5 Postby pjifl » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:15 am

I never aim off for elevation - just adjust sight for this. The wind scope knob is taped to zero and never touched - thus always aim off for wind.

But I estimate aim off with a graticule marked in minutes rather than use the target markings. Readers from ourside Australia may not realize that the rings on the targets (either championship or standard) are not evenly spaced, nor are they consistent from range to range. This is probably one reason why shooters here do not hold off as much as in the US.

I feel that in very light fairly constant conditions adjusting the scope may be slightly more consistent but at longer ranges - especially where wind changes quickly - the aim off is definitely better for me. In North Qld, wind is seldom very strong but often is extremely variable.

Does any else use a graticule for all wind aim off or do they use the target. This is a topic I find very interesting.

Changing the knobs a lot places a lot more demand on the scope - an awful lot do not change reliably when clicking back and forth.

Peter Smith.

Tony Q

#6 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:26 am

Hi Peter, i use a mill dot with 3.6min spacings. While this seems a large gap they do not clutter or confuse the reticle like some can. I also use them to mentaly mark a 3.6 min reference on the target face, i find this works well for me.

I also use the target rings at certain distances.

pjifl

What Aiming Method

#7 Postby pjifl » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:44 am

Tony wrote

>i use a mill dot with 3.6min spacings. While this seems a large gap they >do not clutter or confuse the reticle like some can. I also use them to >mentaly mark a 3.6 min reference on the target face, i find this works >well for me.

- what magnification do you use ? Most mil dots I have seen are spaced at 3.6 min at 10X. But at 36X for example they become 1 minute spaces.

What I am using is largely determined by what I can make and an example is at

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pjifl/sighting%20002b.jpg

The dots are actually spaced about 0.012 inch apart on a fine thread.

This is with a fixed power scope. The scope on my main 6.5 is about 25X and the one on the 6BR is about 32X

Peter Smith.

Tony Q

#8 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi Peter. the dots are 1 Mil spacings = 3.6" @ 100yds = 3.6 min.

Scope is - NSX 5.5-22x56

Ranging power is at 22x ... lower powers change the spacings ie at 15x the dots are 5min spacings.

At 22x the outer diameter of the hollow mill dots is 3/4min this also is usefull for minor corrections as it allows me to 'scale' the 5 and 6 rings for holdover corrections.

Some other brands do have their mill dots much closer together and i know the Benchrest models from Nightforce (8-32x) have ranging powers at a lower setting than their maximum power.
Last edited by Tony Q on Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Q

#9 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:19 pm

Greetings from OZ Jeff Cochran ... how's F Class in Texas?

#10 Postby Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:53 am

Hi Tony

F-class is pretty strong here in Texas. We have some of the best shooters in the states. We had at least 5 Texans in the top 15 at last years national championship. Its not uncommon to have 20 to 25 F-class shooters at some of the local shoots.

Tell me. What is the 'Queens' and 'prize' matches ?

Jeff

Tony Q

#11 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:34 am

Hi Jeff

F Class is young in Australia and allthough growing our numbers are low. Fullbore Clubs who have F Class shooters as members may only have 2 to 5 turn out for a weekly Club shoot

A Prize meet (OPM – open prize meet) is put on by individual clubs once a year, any shooter can participate from any other local or interstate club. Normally 3 ranges are shot on the day with prizes and badges up for grabs. You would find an OPM happening somewhere every 4 or 5 weeks.

A OPM could see between 3 to 10 in each F Std and F open.
(my clubs OPM was last month, 7 Std shooters and 6 Open shooters competed along side 30 fullbore shooters)

A Queens Shoot is held in each state once a year, if you have the time and funds you can shoot all of them within the year. Although a fullbore dominated competition F Class is now always present, For us it’s the ultimate state competition. A Queens is shot over 3 days with 8 ranges shot.

A State Queens could see 10 - 20 in each F Std and F Open
(the last South Australian Queens saw 18 Std shoters and 11 Open shooters compete. A total of 180 including fullbore shooters)

We also have a National Championship shoot.

Cameron Mc

#12 Postby Cameron Mc » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Jeff, just an add to what Tony said.
The term "Queens" comes from the Queen of England, where Fullbore originated. When the King was in power the shoots were called the "Kings"
I think the term "Prize" shoot comes from the fact these shoots carried substantial prize money, years ago when large numbers attented.

We are off to the range now, should be fun........

Cameron

#13 Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:50 am

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN

#14 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:58 pm

Hi Matt I would totally agree with that
Gadgets anyone can buy$ skill U can not !!!
Human nature I guess :)
RB
P.S. I LOVE GADGETS :lol:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”