What to look for in a good Omark

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

What to look for in a good Omark

#1 Postby 1080 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:03 pm

Hi all.....great forum

l am after a Omark.....
It will be a dedicated FS rifle....is this action suited to switch barrels???

As my children will also sh00t....12 & 14 yo. My 12 yo. has a very slight build so l wish to have a 223 flavor to start with, may be later something based on the 308 size head

What should l look for..... which model Omark
What makes a good Omark...what makes a bad one ect. ect.
The sreial # can you date a Omark by these

What l am hopeing to do is get a 308 make it a switch barrel in 223 & later get maybe a 6BR or similar barrel.......so l can shoot FB FS & later FO with the one action
Or am l dreaming
We (all 3) play the 22lr. BenchRest game
l shoot a little FB, club rifle
& we shoot scoped any cal. out to 900 yds for fun

balcom

Re: What to look for in a good Omark

#2 Postby balcom » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:24 am

1080 wrote:Hi all.....great forum

l am after a Omark.....
It will be a dedicated FS rifle....is this action suited to switch barrels???

As my children will also sh00t....12 & 14 yo. My 12 yo. has a very slight build so l wish to have a 223 flavor to start with, may be later something based on the 308 size head

What should l look for..... which model Omark
What makes a good Omark...what makes a bad one ect. ect.
The sreial # can you date a Omark by these

What l am hopeing to do is get a 308 make it a switch barrel in 223 & later get maybe a 6BR or similar barrel.......so l can shoot FB FS & later FO with the one action
Or am l dreaming
We (all 3) play the 22lr. BenchRest game
l shoot a little FB, club rifle
& we shoot scoped any cal. out to 900 yds for fun

Hello whoever you are, not rabbit poison i'm sure :D
Any omark will do the job but first you have to fit an adaptor as omarks came with the locking lugs in the barrel.
223's are a good way for young ones to start and can keep using them with great scores as many older F STD shooters are using them, once you fit an adaptor you can fit any calibre you like as long as you have the bolt heads to suit, also omark actions can be picked up for around $250 upwards, when you build a rifle you will change stocks etc as you progress. :) once you start in F STD with a 223 or 308 changing to a 6mm will put you into F OPEN class. :wink:
PeterH

pjifl

#3 Postby pjifl » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:08 pm

Many Omarks have been rebarreled so come with an adaptor. If this is the case it is worth about $100 more.

I would look around the rear sear guide slot for serious wear. If this is OK there is nothing which cannot be returned to perfect condition.

Many are horrified that the bolt is a loose fit in the action. This is normal and in conjunction with the seperate bolthead, has no deleterious effect on accuracy.

If it is quite old it WILL need a new bolt cross pin. Older smaller ones must be replaced with the newer pattern ones. If it has the older pin you should mention this to the buyer and press for a price reduction.

Peter Smith

pjifl

#4 Postby pjifl » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:26 am

Another thing. Do yourself a favour and replace the firing pin spring with a news one. Or at least get a new one as a spare and compare the length of the old one with it and decide what to do.

These parts are readily available.

Peter Smith.

Peter Marum

Omarks

#5 Postby Peter Marum » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:07 am

Hello 1080,
I would also look at 44d series omark if possible, they have far better trigger than the orignal model, far better stock profile, better bedding system for setting up a good rifle.

Regards,

Peter M

mick l

#6 Postby mick l » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:19 am

I have seen adatpors that have been made out of old barrels,what are peoples thourghts on these.
mick

balcom

Adaptors

#7 Postby balcom » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:14 am

mick l wrote:I have seen adatpors that have been made out of old barrels,what are peoples thourghts on these.
mick

Hi Mick,
I have seen them on rifles and look OK but when I saw one on it's own I thought that there wasn't enough steel thickness around the thread, I wouldn,t use one but I am not a metalergist so they could be safe, better to get one made for the job I think .
PeterH

Return to “Equipment & Technical”