wilson seating die users?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

#16 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:11 pm

barry,
if portability is the only reason to use them, it is still a good reason.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

johnk

#17 Postby johnk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:59 pm

I use the Wilson with micrometer top, Redding Comp & Forster (the one with the mic top) depending on what I'm doing. The tolerances of the Redding are so tight that I busted the seating ram & scored the bore of the piece it runs in seating big .308 projectiles with (not very) compressed loads. Redding has since stated somewhere on their site not to do this, though they replaced the damaged bits for me no question asked. The Forster substitutes as it has fine, but not as fine as Redding's tolerances.

These days though, the Wilson is my first choice because I get a much better feel for what's happening, particularly which rounds seem to have out of character seating - and their lineball in price with the other dies.

mike H

#18 Postby mike H » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 am

Being a bit more basic than most of the re loaders posting here,I use the Hornady seater without a micrometer top.a bullet comparator and vernier calipers confirm seating length. Even with a large reloading press,I can feel differences in seating pressure,we are after all seating bullets,not bullet swaging.

The Lee Hand Press,as Dave Mc mentioned,is very handy for seating,I found that it will neck size .308 cases with the Lee Collet Die.
Mike.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”