6 BR or Dasher

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

MCLE

6 BR or Dasher

#1 Postby MCLE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi all I'm having a cople of New Rifles made as we speak.Both new Barnard model Ps.Both in 308 and one barrel in 6BR .One of the rifles if for my young son.My smithy was leaning on the side of the Dasher and his shoots up a storm but I decided to go with the 6mmBR( I'm lazy so the Fireforming put me off a little ) for the start can always get him to make it into a dasher.I am getting another barrel made(Don't Panic Garry ) for my son so we can shoot Fopen together when we get the erge.And I think he wonts a Dasher ( Not as lazy).So my question is does the BR give away to much against a dasher as I have no experience with eather caliber or will the dasher only come into its own in bad conditions.Cant give my son too much advantage thanks.
Michael H

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 pm

That extra bit of capacity is worth it IMO. My Dasher is a laser (although I haven't shot in a long time). From a fire forming perspective, it was easy using the false shoulder method with the bullet jammed 15thou in Lapua brass. I did not lose one case out of 200 from memory. It shot like stink fire forming at club shoots and finding a load was really easy. I used the 105 A Max which was a great performer. I used it from 300m - 1000yds with good results.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:49 pm

campo,
the other thing about your dasher is long barrel life.
I don't know of a barrel that has lasted so long.
how many years old is it now?
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

MCLE

#4 Postby MCLE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks Simon c .Did you shoot yours as a BR or go straight to a Dasher .would you say that the 6BR is as good out to 700y as the Dasher ??

Simon C

#5 Postby Simon C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:22 pm

I have not shot 6BR at all so I cannot comment on that.

Bruce is right about barrel life though.......mine is old and has not been re-chambered yet but I have my reamer for when the time comes! Since becoming a father, shooting has fallen away do to family commitments so I'd say this barrel is 6yrs old. It's lurking about waiting to come out again at some stage.

Maybe I should come out for a shot with you blokes at Lower Light one day.....I reckon I even have ammo loaded for it.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

DannyS

#6 Postby DannyS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Michael, 6br is good 6 dasher even better, go with what Gary suggests.

Cheers
Danny

DannyS

#7 Postby DannyS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Michael, with the way Liam has been shooting lately, I think you should be getting him a 30.30 winchester or a 310 cadet. :-)

Cheers
Danny

MCLE

#8 Postby MCLE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Danny yes Garry suggested that I go with the Dasher and I probably will in the end its just the fire forming thing.But probably not as big deal as I'm thinking.And as for Liam I have a Cunning Plan when it comes to loading he's Ammo :twisted:

Simon C

#9 Postby Simon C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 pm

The fire forming is easy! All you will need is a 6.5mm mandrel or expander (eg a 6.5x55 die) and your selected neck bushing. Expand and then partially neck size with the die screwed right out. Slowly advance the die until you can just chamber the case. I also got an OAL gauge case made so I could track the throat and seat bullets appropriately. The gunsmith should be able to do that for you with one of your fire formed cases.

There is a good explanation here : http://www.6mmbr.com/6improvedform.html

I just took a look at my notes on this rifle:

2208 is the go. I fire formed with 32gns. My sweet spot load was 32.5gns with the A-Max and 32.7 with the Berger VLD's. The Hybrids weren't around at the time but they look like they would be great with the much better BC. Unfortunately I don't have any chrony info......I can't recall shooting it thru one either!!!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:16 pm

simon,
yes we would love to see you.
ctv is much better than murray bridge, as you will find.
once you make the break, you will never look back.
you will of course find it hard to beat my new game changer cartridge.
keep safe,
bruce.

MCLE

#11 Postby MCLE » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:38 am

Thanks Simon C there is a little bit involved it it but probably not as bad as l think.Have you fire formed by just shooting a BR in the Dasher .And it sounds like you have had a good run out of your barrel at a guess what would you think the round count was.
Thanks Michael H

jcinsa

#12 Postby jcinsa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 am

No need to go to Lower Light Simon

The Monarto Range has plenty of room for all our members that are in recess
To return !
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

bruce moulds

#13 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 am

simon,
ranges are like women. variety is the spice of life.
try lower light, and you will like it.
same old, same old monarto, or exciting new lower light?
keep safe,
bruce.

bartman007

Go the DASHER

#14 Postby bartman007 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:50 am

Michael, go the Dasher. You will find it easy to load for, and it will be a consistent high performer!

While the BR is good, the Dasher is BETTER.

I have watched Gary fire form, and it is a piece of cake! You simply load the projectiles to JAM instead of JUMP, and you use a lighter load, which Gary will tell you.

The benefit of having it in Dasher, is that when Liam starts to run a Dasher too, then you can share ammo...if you get caught short. After all, they will be done with the same reamer if you use Gary as your armourer.

Cheers.

Simon C

#15 Postby Simon C » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:04 am

MCLE wrote:Thanks Simon C there is a little bit involved it it but probably not as bad as l think.Have you fire formed by just shooting a BR in the Dasher .And it sounds like you have had a good run out of your barrel at a guess what would you think the round count was.
Thanks Michael H

I dont have a round count in the notes unfortunately. I used the false shoulder as the method for consistency. I was concerned about jamming only and failure to fire with the case moving forward off the bolt face. My logic was that if it did move forward and then fire, I wouldn't get the consistency in the finished formed brass. This would of course be sorted out on the next firing though. As I siad, I lost no cases with this method and they were consistently formed off the bat (6BR Lapua brass is very good out of the box).

I would be very suprised if it was not competitive at club shoots whilst fire forming. So all is not lost with that extra trip through the reloading press!!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Return to “Equipment & Technical”