6 BR or Dasher

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DMC

#16 Postby DMC » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 am

Simon's method as mentioned above will work out well,
I've got a .272 neck Dasher that Gary chambered, I've just fire formed my Dasher cases and they've turned out well.
I initially used new out of box brass with 29.5 Varget with 205 primers and a 30th jam on 107 SMK's, these came out well, bumped charge up to 30.0 gr and shoulders formed better. I think neck tension would have been at least 3 th. with the new brass. these came out slightly better. Keys to it are 1: completely dry chamber, 2: plenty of neck tension ( i used straight out of the box brass ) 3: soft primers ( 205's) and 4: 30th Jam. Worked out with very consistant fire form length's

Theres plenty of very experienced Dasher shooters on here,

Brad Y

#17 Postby Brad Y » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:27 am

I have tried a couple of different ways of fireforming my dasher. I have a fireforming barrel to do it in and will have a match barrel shortly. Note my chamber is 268 so a slight turn on blue box brass first to give clearance is needed.

1. Neck up then down so the case headspaces off the shoulder
2. Neck turn down to the point where the end of turning will be the new shoulder.
3. Neck turn all the way down to the shoulder on 6BR brass, then jam a projectile 30 thou with 3 thou tension.

My fireform load is 30gr 2208 and a CCI450.

Guys in the USA will rave about all the different things you need to do for a dasher. I spoke to Jim O'hara, whos dasher held a 2" agg at a 1000yd benchrest event last year and he knows the dasher inside and out and shared his experiences. But in the end I went back to my own way which is just turn it all the way down as 6BR brass, jam a 105 nosler or amax (cheap) 30 thou with 3 thou tension and shoot it. In the end he said its all about trying to get a consistent blow length. It seems to me it takes 2 firings to get the lengths 100% but I would happily use once fired cases in the short ranges- maybe not a queens but in a club or DRA shoot.

I found a good load at 32.5gr 2208 in this short stubby fireform barrel but its quite hot for that barrel. Apparently nodes are around 32.5 and 33.5 and even 34.5 of 2208 but that last one is real hot and probably not useable in lots of rifles. Only 1 person I know of has tried it in a barnard. Otherwise apparently approx 36gr 2209 will get you around 3000fps. I will find out soon enough I guess- there is a krieger 1:8 LV profile in the shop here with my name on it as a short range F class and LG 1000yd BR rifle.

Best thing of all, the cases that I played around with to fireform are happy to take 35gr of BM2 and a 55gr nosler ballistic tip and holds headshots on foxes out to 200 very well :twisted:

For dies if you need them, get onto whidden gunworks- they have dasher FLS bushing and micrometer seaters in stock and are very good dies.

Simon C

#18 Postby Simon C » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

bruce moulds wrote:simon,
yes we would love to see you.
ctv is much better than murray bridge, as you will find.
once you make the break, you will never look back.
you will of course find it hard to beat my new game changer cartridge.
keep safe,
bruce.

jcinsa wrote:No need to go to Lower Light Simon

The Monarto Range has plenty of room for all our members that are in recess
To return !

I'll have to head out to see you both. I think I still have contact numbers for youz in the phone...might be worth shooting me a PM with details so I can work something out!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

MCLE

#19 Postby MCLE » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the help I was speaking to Garry today and he is going to make it into a Dasher for me even tho he had already finished it as a 6BR He was verry good about it and answered all my stupid questions.He is going to give me the lowdown on Sunday about the do and donts regarding the Dasher.Thanks to all
Michael H

Simon C

#20 Postby Simon C » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Awesome - you won't be disappointed!!!

I'd be interested in hearing about the throating you end up with and how that matches with the range of projectiles available. Those hybrids look interesting to me......can u tell I'm keen to shoot mine again?? :P
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

MCLE

#21 Postby MCLE » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Yes it should be good I'm going to get the other one done as well so hopefully they will be as close as possible .And you should get out blow the dust off the old girl.

bruce moulds

#22 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:18 pm

simon,
a 6mm super lr might clean up your chamber.
if not the barrel can be shortened to compensate, and that will give you a very fresh throat.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Simon C

#23 Postby Simon C » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 am

bruce moulds wrote:simon,
a 6mm super lr might clean up your chamber.
if not the barrel can be shortened to compensate, and that will give you a very fresh throat.
keep safe,
bruce.

I have about 300pc of new winchester 243 brass Bruce........does anyone have a reamer?
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

MCLE

#24 Postby MCLE » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:46 am

Well as i said i took the advice and went with the dasher.We went out on sunday and run in the barrel. went back to 300y on target with the first shot a 4 second shot 5 next a Super and managed 5 supers in a row thought i should stop while i was ahead and gave Liam a go he manager 4 supers and one 6 so 60 with 9.Not to bad considering we were fire forming brass. With that he turned to me and said when are u getting yours Dad so have ordered another one Bugger.Garry has let me use it for a week or so to fire form a couple of hundred cases as we should be able to use the same cases between the both rifles.Then it goes back to be painted and the 308 barrel fitted and by then its twin should be ready.But not as bad as i thought fire forming thanks to Garry stepping me through it even i can do it.
Michael H

DannyS

#25 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:07 am

Knew you would enjoy it Michael. Nice looking scope as well.

Cheers
Danny

MCLE

#26 Postby MCLE » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks Danny it is interesting just howe well they shoot fire forming cases.Even worked well out to 900y so fingers crossed it will be even better when shot as a Dasher.
Michael H

MCLE

#27 Postby MCLE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:05 pm

well l have picked up the the twin to my rifle for my son and hopefully Garry will have the 308 barrels during the week.The fire forming is coming along fine and i have only lost 2 cases but they both gave me supers so they did dent sacrifice themselves for nothing.Just need to paint themImage[/URL[URL=http://s954.photobucket.com/user/mhalll/media/photo_zpsa59ab4ad.jpg.html]Image

MCLE

#28 Postby MCLE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Simon C

#29 Postby Simon C » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Excellent! Can I ask what type of stocks those are & where you got them? I'm seriously thinking about making some changes in my stable and will need an F-class type stock for the rifle in question.

I spent some time in the heat today turning (read clean up) some necks on some fire formed cases that I hadn't gotten too yet. Thankfully I kept good records of the brass prep and it was a simple matter of tool setup ....it is all coming back to me now!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

MCLE

#30 Postby MCLE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Garry Hunt is my smithy and From memory he picked them up from a stock maker in Baccusmarsh they need painting but l like the feel of them and they were cheaper than getting stocks from the States.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”