locking lug lube

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

locking lug lube

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:33 am

would people share their opinions on products, particularly for stainless?
bruce.

Cameron Mc

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Bruce

Loctite Nickel Anti Seize is the way to go. It is also great for barrel threads.
Expensive, but it works.

Cameron

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:45 pm

cameron, thanks for the reply.
i have heard of loctite 771. is this the same?
i have been using tetra gun grease, but after reading the results of their copper solvent in a test on 6mmbr (no copper removed) i thought to question the lube for this job.
bruce.

ned kelly

#4 Postby ned kelly » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:03 pm

G'Day all,
I use either a good quality heavy duty wheel bearing gease or that nulon 90 pre assembly lube with teflon (i think its called). I know several BR shooters who have put many thousands of rounds throught their rifles with both of these and have heard of no galling of the bolt lugs.

A timely warning for those of you with stainless steel actions. You must use a quality stainless steel anti sieze when screwing in you S/S barrels or you will stuff your action. One precision g/smith has a stuffed Hall action on his wall (as the legend goes) reminding him of the dangers of tight barrel thread and poor lube! I use a product called 'sliver goop" that is dedicated for stainless on stainless contact. It sounds kinda silly and it is expensive at about $70- for a small tube but what price for peace of mind when the alternative is a barrel and action might siezed together.

Cheerio Ned Kelly

Tiger

#5 Postby Tiger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:44 am

Loctite 771 is the gear, nickel anti seize, bought mine from Peter Pro-Cal, price seemed very reasonable to be honest, and have had the tube for a couple of years, still probably half full.

Gets used for everything now, anything I want to lube especially things that contains stainless or alloy components on the bearing surfaces.

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:45 pm

ned
who makes silver gloop, & where do you get it?
thanks in advance.
bruce.

Dazza

#7 Postby Dazza » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Bruce,

Unless you work for a certain Australian International airline you may have great difficulty finding the product :lol: :lol:

The Loctite product will serve you needs very well, and its available! :D

Regards,

Darren

ned kelly

#8 Postby ned kelly » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:40 pm

G'day all,
My "Silver goop" tube is some years old now and it says it is made by:-

"Crawford Fitting Company"
29500 Solon Rd, Solon OHIO 44139 USA.

The tube says it contains silver
The engineering shop I bought it from has sinced closed its doors and as a little bit goes a long way, at this time I dont need to re-stock my supplies. So I cannot advise where you may find it. You could try looking through engineering shops or marine supplies as they use a lot of stainless and they may have something similar.
Cheerio Ned

Return to “Equipment & Technical”