fastest working copper solvent?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

fastest working copper solvent?

#1 Postby BATattack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 am

Im in the process of running in several barrels. . .what a P.I.T.A!!!

My OCD quest for efficiency and time management is getting the better of me :evil:

Currently I use pro shot copper solvent and it works well given 20-30 min to soak but ive been wondering if there is something else worth trying that works quicker?

jasmay

#2 Postby jasmay » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 am

Sweets 7.62 Solvent is pretty quick, but can be harsh if left in, but if you running in barrels cleaning straight away I would say go for it.

7.62 still have ammonia as the active ingredient which eats copper crazy good!!

I used it for years, and still do on occasion for heavy fouling, but I now also use proshot on a more regular basis in conjunction with butchers bore shine and Hoppes no.9.

a.JR

#3 Postby a.JR » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am

Hi BATa, Best i have used to quickly remove copper is Montana X-Treme copper killer 50 BMG.. Havn't been able to get it recently but it makes the others look week .. Currently use Sweets because it's the next best..JR.. Jeff Rogers

ecomeat

#4 Postby ecomeat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 am

I am breaking in barrels too, and was keen to try the Montana Extreme 50 BMG out, after reading about it online (and in Tony Boyers book, I think)
Finally found it on ebay, from an Aussie based company

sales2@ozhuntingsupplies.com.au was the company. Cost ,me $25 plus $8 Frt so $33 delivered.
Its good, but I dont actually think its any quicker than Sweets, in dissolving copper. The odor is like nothing i have ever smelt before !! It would sit you on your butt pretty quick.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

SMITHTON

Fastest Working Solvent

#5 Postby SMITHTON » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 am

I take the rifle into the light. look at the copper in the muzzle. I get a cotton bud and dab with your favourite solvent. kg12 will eat it away quickly, depending on how thick the copper is.

Darryl.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:20 am

+1 for Sweets. I apply it with a nylon brush vigorously until it foams (it seems to work better with plenty of oxygen). And also its better with a cold barrel.

Norm

#7 Postby Norm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm a fan of Bore tech Eliminator.

BATattack

#8 Postby BATattack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Hmmmm looks like a lot of votes for sweets!

Its a bit of a pitty it evaporates in warm barrels so quickly.

How does the Montana 50bmg go in warm barrels?

in general i really like the pro shot because it does a great job on powder as well as a good job on copper if you have the time AND its water soluble so it makes it easy to wash out your brushes :-)

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm

BATattack wrote:...Its a bit of a pitty it evaporates in warm barrels so quickly.

Adam,

If you're at the 1 and 2 shot stage running in, that's when the coppering is worst, and the barrel hardly even gets warm. And for each firing(s) I normally apply Sweets at least 2 or 3 times till it patches out pure white. Another thing I've learned (eventually) with running in, is to decide on a recipe e.g. 1-1-1-2-2-3-5 shots etc., and unless coppering is rediculous, stick to it i.e. don't keep doing single shots until it stops coppering, move on to 2 shots as planned. It saves a lot of time and barrel wear and IMHO the end result is the same. The important thing is to get ALL the copper out after each firing(s).

Alan.

Quick

#10 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm using Boretech Eliminator in my 6mm. Works great.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

DannyS

#11 Postby DannyS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Haha Tony, Montana extreme is pretty extreme on the nose, will definately sit you down on your a..., if used in a confined space :D

They do advise using it in a well ventilated area.

Cheers
Danny :D

Brad Y

#12 Postby Brad Y » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Patch of oil, fire a shot, clean. I do that 5 times. Then the same with 2 shots twice, then three shots twice then a 5 shot group. If it's still coppering I embrace iosso paste then do more 5 shot strings until it can do a 10 shot string at club level then clean between strings.

One thing I have found is reduced loads and Sierra projectiles to run in barrels with seems to work better. Maybe the jackets aren't as soft as bergers.

As for solvents I usually use sweets for the first few that may copper bad but go to pro shot copper solvent there after. Sweets is useless in hot barrels and unless you run fancy jags that don't show it, bore tech gives false copper colours on patches. Nylon brushes are pretty much essential to get copper solvents nice and frothy so they work.

BATattack

#13 Postby BATattack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:47 pm

I dont know the the full technicalities of it but I used to do a fair bit of contracting for a company that used to leach (dissolve) copper using ammonia then boil the ammonia off using steam then it was cooled for condensing and collection. . . . They warned us that ammonia actually builds up in your body in the same way heavy metals can.

Thanks alan thats kinda what ive been doing. I did 1 and it was pretty good and came clean quickly. the smith did an excellent job of the throat and it looked perfect through the borescope. So I went 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 5. . . . . I think 5 was probably too much because it took 4 long soaks to get all the copper out. Now ive gone back to 3.

A bore scope is a huge help. You can see exactly what is going on and where you need to focus your attention.

Ive got 5 barrels to do and any time I can save will all add up :-)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”