Nielsen Information

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John23

Nielsen Information

#1 Postby John23 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Gday Everyone

I used the search function and did not find much information on the topic.

Basically I am after some information on the Nielsen actions and the way the models differ.

Years they were produced and the pro's and con's of these actions.

How these actions compare to current custom or factory actions in terms of fit and finish,squareness, function and strength.

I do know that the 600 is a rear 3 lug bolt design and uses a omark firing pin.

I know the 300 is a front lug and have been told this is the preferred choice.

Thats the limit of what I know....

If you experienced people could help me on a quest of knowledge that would be appreciated.

Now the reason I ask is because I am considering selling my savage 12 and building a Aussie built custom.

The build would be on a budget but the general plan would be to fit a nice new barrel chambered in 6.5x47 , davies trigger,20 moa rail and place it in a mcmillan or nice laminate stock.

I am not out to break world records (yet ;)) and am just after a accurate simple rifle that will let me enjoy some Fopen at club level.

If you have one of these rifles you are willing to part with please contact me at john23harris@live.com.au

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JH ;)

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Nope, the 300 & the 600 were both front lockers, but the 600 used a 1 piece action with integral lugs while the 300 fitted a Neilsen adaptor to an action body. My recollection is that Neilsen's adaptor for the Omark came first, then his 300 action. Both actions used Neilsen's bolts with Omark guts more or less. At the end of manufacture Graham Bugden (MAB) was building Lloyd's actions for him. Phil Mastin built & bedded his stocks at one time, though Lloyd had a process of final finishing the bedding to give it a degree of preload.

The rear locker was called the sabre.

John23

#3 Postby John23 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks

I thought the 600 and 600 saber were the same action.
I better edit my post as I know nothing :lol:

Based on what you said would it be fair to dismiss the 300 action and focus on either the 600 or saber?

Dose the rear lugs of the saber cause some wobble at the bolt face end?

Have you much experience with these actions?

JH ;)

Cameron Mc

#4 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Nielsen did build a rear locker called the Sabre. Not sure how many were made, but I recall they did not take off.
John is right, MAB built some of the Nielson actions.

Cam

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm

G'day John.

There were two MN 300 actions -- the initial one required an adaptor for barrel fitting--- the second one did not require an adaptor, having the locking lugs integral with the receiver. Both 3 lug front locking.

The MN 600 was an update on the 300 --was still 3 front locking lugs and one piece receiver.

The rear locking action was a " Sabre " but never really gained popularity.
Again a three lug receiver.

All were basically patterned on the omark but a little more precise in build.
Think I got all of that correct but if not stand to be corrected.

My advice to you would be to save your money and purchase a " Barnard " -- NZ made ( almost Aussie ) excellent action and ideal for F Class.
I think Keith Hills is still agent.

John23

#6 Postby John23 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 pm

I have a Barnard ready TSE barrel in the safe and I have considered going that way.
Unfortunately I just dont have the budget factoring a stock and scope mounts.

Plus even though I would have a quality rifle I still would have the Aussie built itch and not be fully satisfied.

How would you compare the Nielsen compared to a Savage / Lemington or similar modern action?

JH ;)

Barry Davies

#7 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I am not familiar with Savage etc --anybody else??

Brad Y

#8 Postby Brad Y » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:46 pm

The good thing about savage/remington is that parts are readily available- particularly in the remington. Alot of omark shooters are really struggling for parts and although the action is cheap, I dont think you can overlook a newer dated action for something that will save you a few bucks. Trued remingtons will cost similar to a new pierce which is only a few hundred shy of a barnard. And while I like my pierce very much, by the time you spend money on a trigger (and a good one like a jewel or kelbly competition) you are almost spot on with barnard pricing. The savage on the other hand is ready to go from the box though the trigger options if you dont like the factory one, is limited.

John23

#9 Postby John23 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 pm

LOL thats the problem with this forum, all you blokes own these nice custom actions.

Even if I went and spend 10K tomorrow on a new custom package I dont think my scores will improve as a result.
I am new to the game have a lot to learn.

My current Savage is more than capable for the task.
I guess you could consider this build as a vintage / hot rod concept.

In regards to the old omark ect parts getting limited.
Why would I require new parts? Are there parts that are prone to breaking?

Or is it just wear and tear on lugs and bolt faces?

JH ;)

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 pm

All the omarks I have seen are actually pretty soft steel, things like the cocking ramps wear away pretty easy, firing pins and springs always seem to be a trouble, adapters for some reason get harder to find. Honestly I would just not bother and use the savage that you have. Run a second barrel on it even. Another action that you might be able to do up is a howa 1500. Very strong actions and pretty well priced, just need a smith who is willing to work on them as the factory barrels are installed REAL TIGHT.

GrahamW

#11 Postby GrahamW » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 pm

John23 wrote:My current Savage is more than capable for the task.
I guess you could consider this build as a vintage / hot rod concept.
JH ;)

Hi John, I see where you're coming from & I like the Aussie Hot Rod concept.

I'm fairly new to this game myself, only about 4 years now, and mainly due to budget restrictions I'm still shooting an old Omark my brother kindly put together for me at a great price. It's been customised a bit over the years and hasn't always produced the best results but after finally finding the right barrel/load combo the old girl probably shoots better than I can point it.

Anyway, my point is, don't be dissuaded from your goal. Yes, Omarks are a mild steel action and things wear out but parts are still available and worn extraction ramps/lugs can be repaired.
In any case, your original question was about the Nielsen, I believe it's a better quality action than the Omark and would be my choice between the 2.
I know someone shooting a Nielsen that has won and placed in several OPMs and a few Queens with it.

Cheers 8-)

John Smith

Neilsen action

#12 Postby John Smith » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi John, the later produced 600 front locking actions were the pick of all the actions. The bodies were surface ground and the locking lugs were EDM cut.This work was done by Knap engineering of Brisbane ,Lloyd built the bolts with omark hardware and did the assembly. Phil Mastin was originally the supplier of semi finished stocks. Lloyd later built a profile copier and made his own stocks. MAB were not involved in manufacture, but did on occasion supply parts. Barry Davis supplied most of the triggers. A good product for the era
John Smit
J S

Triplejim

Re: Neilsen action

#13 Postby Triplejim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 pm

John Smith wrote:Lloyd later built a profile copier and made his own stocks.

I've seen this machine in action, 3 big fly cutters, frightening,,,, JC

jerryatric

#14 Postby jerryatric » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 am

hi , I have a l/n 300 , I can shoot 5 shots into a one ragged hole with it .. I also have a omark that does the same .. YOU can buy any part you require for your omarks through the QRA .. they stock heaps of stuff for them .. GO FOR IT . YES you can get way better actions as far as function goes , buy i for one cant justify the huge price for a action when im not shooting for Australia or that illusive sheep station . :D

John23

#15 Postby John23 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 pm

After some talk I think I will only go for the 600 front lug.
The 300 is getting a bit long in the tooth and the Saber keeps giving bad feed back.

Its just a case of finding one now at the right price.

Then the challenge of finding a laminate stock at the right price.
I am trying to find something like this but with no inlet.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/th ... est/Detail

Unfortunately stockies wont supply one with no inlet

If I find the right stock I may then bed it will a barrel block.

JH ;)[/code]

Return to “Equipment & Technical”