Scopes at Raton

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Scopes at Raton

#1 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm

On another forum, a newbie member going by the name of James Kelby implies that the NF 15-50 scopes were going belly up at Raton in great numbers.

Did any of our team members hear anything along those lines or is the story a very nasty bit of commercial sabotage by a competing supplier?

lewis reynolds

#2 Postby lewis reynolds » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Correct me if im wrong but Kelby is a distributor for march scopes is he not?

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Dave hit the nail on the head in his reply. All scopes will fail. They are mechanical items. Sometime mechanical items need fixing. Its what a good warranty and carrying a spare scope at a major prize shoot is for. I reckon its probably a bit of a dig at the competition. I wasnt there but when you have Larry Bartholome AND Dave Mc both saying there was alot of other stuff going on that could affect POI than just a scope, I would be inclined to believe them.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Kelby was pretty specific, saying 20 instances of failure. I am surprised that such a claim would be made by somebody of such high repute in the accuracy game.

aaronraad

#5 Postby aaronraad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am

I know it's a video of 50BMG recoiling at +70ft-lbs and a 308W is about 16ft-lbs, but it gives you an idea of the harmonics the scope endures each shot.

high-speed video of scope and barrel flexing on a 50BMG

Scopes might be tested to 375H&H recoil or even 50BMG recoil but there is still a limit as to the number of times they can handle the recoil. The old spring recoiling target scopes of the early 20th century start to look more durable.

I also confirmed the YouTube video of "Range Time with Cory & Erika - Erika shooting Serbu BFG-50A .50 BMG" has nothing to do with scope flex. :wink:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Return to “Equipment & Technical”