Best/Biggest 30 cal

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

#61 Postby Norm » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:57 am

Norm wrote:They could shoot before or after the other shooters to avoid any obvious conflicts with shooters using unbraked rifles. Not an issue!

Bruce, did you read this bit?

ecomeat

#62 Postby ecomeat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:00 am

Norm wrote:
Norm wrote:They could shoot before or after the other shooters to avoid any obvious conflicts with shooters using unbraked rifles. Not an issue!

Bruce, did you read this bit?

Norm,
I am with Bruce 100% on this, If the shooter cant handle it without a muzzle break, then it doesnt deserve to be on the mound in F Class in my opinion. ](*,) ](*,)
If you can lay down and handle it....be it a 338 Lap, or even something bigger, i genuinely couldnt care less if it doesnt have a brake.
Our sport is in a really healthy position as is, with numbers growing world wide and a true "World Championship" held every 4 years. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Too many of us love it just the way it is !
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

westernsky

#63 Postby westernsky » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:22 pm

while i dont want to start an argument, or go too much off the original thread, wouldnt it be in the sports best interest if we all became a little more accommodating towards new shooters. i cant speak for the other states, or other regions here in the west, but in the wheatbelt area, the sport appears to be dying a slow death, whether that be t/r or f class, so for our ranges and clubs to survive it would seem that the solution be to remove some of the preconceived ideas and allow a little more scope for other shooters.
saying that a shooter shouldnt be there if he cant handle that cartridge without a brake is nonsense. there are any number of reasons why someone chooses a particular cartridge, be that because its used for other types of shooting, or because thats what he already has, what is available etc... the list goes on.
at the end of the day, we are all there for the same reason, because we enjoy the sport, be it for the competition, or purely for the social aspect, it doesnt matter. what matters is we work together to ensure our sport continues so our kids can enjoy it aswell.
im not saying that we should go and change the rules right away, if at all, but if my club can accept my rifle, and can get around the stigma associated with a braked rifle, then im pretty sure we can all put our stubborness away and enjoy shooting together, whatever your discipline.

i think thats enough ranting from me for now. this is just my own opinion, and in now way do i want to start a war with it, but i just feel i needed to my two cents worth in.

happy shooting
brenton
theres no such thing as too many rifles!

westernsky

#64 Postby westernsky » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:50 pm

oh, and getting back to the original thread, while i am biased, i think the 300rum has alot of potential as a very accurate cartridge, especially at the longer ranges. if your looking for flat shooting and wind bucking ability, then its up there with the best. imho.

happy shooting
brenton

ecomeat

#65 Postby ecomeat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Brenton,
The great thing about this forum is that a diversity of opinions are welcomed and encouraged, and everyone is free to share their opinion without fear of any repercussions.
That bloody cranky old Bruce from Lower Light doesnt want tactical style rifles, OR muzzle brakes.
I am only half as cranky, and welcome "Tactical" style......those black things... but am dead against muzzle breaks .
And yet we can still be mates. Our opinions on some things may differ, but the main thing is that we respect each others....and everybody elses....opinion.
I personally hate muzzle brakes because i have been caused a serious amount of pain and discomfort at a range where a shooter with a 300 something was given a bit of "look the other way" dispensation regarding his muzzle break and allowed to compete in 1000 yard BR. He let one off while i was helping someone else get set up.
Granted i didnt have my ear muffs on at that stage, because noone was meant to be shooting, but he shot early and i was only 8 or 10 feet away and i really wore it.
So me personally, i am dead against muzzle brakes being allowed in F Class and i dont think anything will change my opinion ! Like Bruce said, i can see a lot of older F Classers having a significant issue with muzzle breaks.
As i see it the current rules are proven to work pretty well, with a quality field of international competitors recently lining up for the FCWC.
It was, by all accounts, deemed to be a totally fair competition.....and i expect that there wasnt a single muzzle break on the mound.
Under the rules, you can shoot anything you like up to 8mm........but no muzzle break. So i would disagree you on the "principle". I strongly believe that if you cant shoot it without a muzzle break then it shouldnt be allowed on the mound IN F CLASS.
I wouldnt hold that position for a "try it"/one off occurence, but as far as being a regular competitor in F Class then i am totally against muzzle breaks being allowed. It seems that the rules that govern F Class competition internationally agree !
Tony
Last edited by ecomeat on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

DenisA

#66 Postby DenisA » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I started shooting my .300wsm using 230g Hybrids. I couldn't get them to do what i wanted and I'm having much better results with 215g Hybrids.

I know some of you are looking for them and I have 6 x un-opened boxes of 50 (300) that I'd be happy to off load. Lot#4536.

PM me if your interested.

Interestingly, using my ballistics app, I coulnd't get these to meet Millers 1.4 Sg in a 10 twist barrel. They were close at 1.31. I wonder if thats why myself and some others haven't got the greatest results with them.
A 9 twist barrel seems to suit them better. I think its the long OAL, long ogive and short bearing surface of the Hybrid that causes it to want a faster twist........... not specifically the weight.

macguru

#67 Postby macguru » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:25 pm

You may be right about the twist ... I met a match rifle shooter at Coonabarrabran using a 308. When he used 230 bergers he switched to a long throated 1 in 9 twist barrel and used a duplex powder load. Obviously he was getting lower velocities (than you) but the accuracy was superb, holding really tight elevation at 1200 yards and getting less than half the wind shift of an F standard 155gr load.

Brad Y

#68 Postby Brad Y » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Club shoots are just that. If your club and other shooters let you shoot with it, no issue. But dont expect to go to a prize shoot and be allowed to use it. It all depends on what you want to do. They arent my cup of tea either, the rules are there for a reason I reckon and you can do a few other things to battle torque and recoil without having to run a brake.

Saying that those clubs out in the wheatbelt need as many new members as possible to keep them running. I would look at building it up heavier though and shooting without the brake. Not to say it might not be accurate, but its definitely something that is pretty uncommon to see.

A young (20-30) girl was shooting an 8kg 30-338LM here last weekend and while she said it did recoil and make alot of noise, she shot a string with it fine. And I reckon she could have shot a couple of ranges over the day with it. As to how long the barrel would last in a match with 15 shot strings... :twisted:

SENDIT

#69 Postby SENDIT » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:15 pm

muzzle brakes? I might start bringing a lead sled and sand bags :lol:

macguru

#70 Postby macguru » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:02 am

30-338 ? Yeah someone in our club has one. I am thinking you would get about 4-500 tops... :shock:

Seddo

#71 Postby Seddo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 am

macguru wrote:30-338 ? Yeah someone in our club has one. I am thinking you would get about 4-500 tops... :shock:

I've ordered the reamer, also a 7-338lm.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

bruce moulds

#72 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 am

seddo,
you might be able to get bulk discount on barrels.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Quick

#73 Postby Quick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:10 pm

I have a reamer for a 30-338LM Imp with a set of dies to match. Just gotta find time to build a rifle around it. Would be good for 1500yd work :)
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

IanP

#74 Postby IanP » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:26 pm

DenisA wrote:Hi Guys,

I started shooting my .300wsm using 230g Hybrids. I couldn't get them to do what i wanted and I'm having much better results with 215g Hybrids.

I know some of you are looking for them and I have 6 x un-opened boxes of 50 (300) that I'd be happy to off load. Lot#4536.

PM me if your interested.

Interestingly, using my ballistics app, I coulnd't get these to meet Millers 1.4 Sg in a 10 twist barrel. They were close at 1.31. I wonder if thats why myself and some others haven't got the greatest results with them.
A 9 twist barrel seems to suit them better. I think its the long OAL, long ogive and short bearing surface of the Hybrid that causes it to want a faster twist........... not specifically the weight.

These images tell a different story to what you have found. Maybe you need a little more load development.

Image from Berger Bullets website with my data and the bullet looks stable from a 10 twist to me!

Recent results from a load tune up for the SA Queens with my 300WM and the 230gr hybrids.

Ian

westernsky

#75 Postby westernsky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:39 pm

denisA, id be pretty interested in those 230's mate. finding it pretty hard to get projys at the moment. and i reckon they would suit the higher mv in my rifle perfectly. send me a pm if you still have them, cheers.

eco, i fully respect everyones opinion, and like i said i certainly dont want to start any arguments. personally, i would never shoot while someone is setting up or not ready etc. and i always use the other end of the mound, fortunately for me we dont have a full mound of shooters.

i would also be more than happy to remove my brake for a competition shoot, if thats the rules then i will abide by them, certainly no dramas there.

like i did say, in the end its all about everyone enjoying the sport together, so there is always going to be the need for a bit of give and take on everyones part i believe. and that goes for alot of things, not just the brake issue.

happy shooting
brenton

Return to “Equipment & Technical”