Barrel Life

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

pjifl

Barrel Life

#1 Postby pjifl » Sat May 06, 2006 9:05 pm

It may interest some that the barrel on my 6.5 Rogue has come to the end of its useful life. It has now shot about 2500 rounds - maybe a little more since I lost a few.

Seems that at 2000 it was still very competitive but at about 2300 felt rough to a cleaning rod and was starting to pick up a lot of copper and was giving variable velocity - hence variable elevation - at longer ranges. Like fairly regularly after a good clean going hight on the 6th shot and thereafter remained high with some variation.

It could probably be rechambered forward about 2 or 3 inches but I am not sure if its worth while. The lands certainly are not missing - but they are worn and a bit erratic.

This seems to be a better life than some other 6.5s but I was not pushing it - most of my shooting was dome at little over 2800 ft/sec with 43 grains of 2209.

Luckily I have another identical one which can be switched from another rifle - but will it shoot as well ???? Hope so.

Peter Smith.

Tony Z

#2 Postby Tony Z » Sat May 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Murphy's Law says that if a barrel is to die it will do it during the Mackay Queens. Bad luck Pete.
Tony Z.

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Sun May 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Why not rechamber the existing barrel after cutting 2" off it?
At least you know the barrel is a good one ,its fully run in already.

pjifl

#4 Postby pjifl » Mon May 08, 2006 9:26 am

The wear pattern is to me rather unique. Maybe others have seen this.

Apart from some general land depth wear and a few bits off here and there, each land now has a well formed narrow groove perfectly in the middle of each land running forward maybe 2 inches or a little more. It looks quite neat.

It almost looks as though someone delimerately 'double grooved' the first part of the bore.

These would be good copper traps.

My second barrel (originally fitted at the end of 2004) is now in and running and seems to shoot well so there is no hurry to do anything with the old barrel.

Peter Smith.

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon May 08, 2006 10:39 am

I have just had a 6BR barrel rechambered after 3400 rounds. We cut off approx 1". Erosion can be seen in the throat but is not bad. Also recrowned and now barrel shots almost as it did when new. It will be interesting to see how much longer it goes.

Cameron

Matt P

#6 Postby Matt P » Mon May 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Cameron
Very interesting I just had my BR rechambered it had 1800 rounds thru it and the Gunsmith had to take 2.5" off it to get into good metal, shot it for the 2nd time last week for a 99 @ 800m.

Matt P

Cameron Mc

#7 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon May 08, 2006 9:57 pm

G Day Matt

My barrel was only 26" to start with so I did not want to cut too much off. The throat is still quite eroded, but it is still competative. I have to stay on top of powder fouling by using JB paste but copper fouling is minimal. I wouldn't be surprised if the barrel goes off with little warning sadly, it has been a beauty.....

Cameron

Return to “Equipment & Technical”