Berger 308 F-Std projectiles

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Berger 308 F-Std projectiles

#1 Postby macguru » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 am

There are 3 Berger projectiles suitable for F-std... 155gr VLD, 155gr Hybrid and 155.5gr Fullbore. I was just wondering if anyone has tried all 3 or has a stand out favourite. ?

I have tried the Hybrids for a while and they dont group quite as tight as my 2156 sierra load but still outscore them from 800-1200 yds no problem. The problem with the sierras is consistency, you get the odd flyer maybe 1 in 10 or 12 shots. Then if you assume its wind when its not, you aim off and put the next one out as well, thereby losing 2 points.. :(

I have just loaded up a starter load for the fullbores, the same as my sierra load as they are about the same length, with a 10thou jump. I have not shot them yet

I have not even bought a box of VLDs yet...

Brad Y

#2 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 am

Any reason you arent using the HBC either?

I see no gain for using the VLD's- they are so similar to the HBC its not funny. Hybrids and fullbores yes but still cant justify the price difference when the current HBC's work so well.

macguru

#3 Postby macguru » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 am

I never had much luck with the hbcs with my original barrel (factory savage) and then i rechambered with a shilen heavy varmint and my sierra groups got tighter... about the same time all the hbc shooters were having consistency problems owing to the ownership change, much worse than my remarks about the sierras, and so i just stuck with the sierras and started trialling the berger hybrids at club shoots.

andrew

Return to “Equipment & Technical”