Serious pimping advice

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Serious pimping advice

#1 Postby Brad Y » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:04 pm

I think its been a while since this topic was discussed again so why not?

I have a new rifle being chambered next week, and milling out the stock for the floating action/barrel block this weekend. The barrel block is this colour
Action is this
Scope rings are black TPS and sightron SIII scope so black as well.

Serious question is what colour should the stock be? Thought about the same colour as the barrel block. Then I thought gloss black like my other stock.

Thoughts?

Quick

#2 Postby Quick » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 pm

That is just sexy Brad :)

I like your action alot too, very nice fluting work on the bolt, Bruce Moulds would be proud that a west aussie has taken up the grand art of rifle pimping :)

I reckon stock should be same colour as block, that way the action and barel contrasts well. Cant wait to see this rifle in action. I'll make a trip down to see it.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:07 pm

no question.
metallic gold with high gloss finish.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

bully_eye

#4 Postby bully_eye » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Don't forget picatinny rails everywhere as well!! :lol: You can NEVER have too many picatinny rails.

Michael

aaronraad

#5 Postby aaronraad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Nice barrel block!

Is that a labeled a Redback unit? I'm working a on new rig at the moment in .257 cal and wanted a barrel block set-up. Do you have any specs or a contact?

...I'd be partial with a safety yellow stock if you're going with the blue barrel block; or maybe a lilac come purple anodised look for something slightly less contrasting.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Brad Y

#6 Postby Brad Y » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Hmmm yellow stock. A rifle the colours of the might west coast eagles...
Yes it's a red back. I got details from www.benchrest.com.au

Sadly not a gold fan. The thought of silver did cross my mind but more so if it was a stainless action with polished kelbly rings.

It's going to be a hard one as there are future plans for 7mm in a red block 6mm in a green block as well.

aaronraad

#7 Postby aaronraad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I figure if I get a barrel block I could pretty much get away with pool furniture for the stock.

Is that Pierce action or another Rem clone?
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Brad Y

#8 Postby Brad Y » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Yes pierce action.

This is what Im working with. Sorry for the kiddies book below the stock.
In some pics the wood looks good, but believe me there will be a bit of filler to fill gaps and voids in the laminate so its getting a 2 pack spray job like the other one.

The more I look at it, black will be the best colour. Problem there is I already have a black stock. So Im thinking a high gloss silver to match the barrel.

Mark Hamersley

#9 Postby Mark Hamersley » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi Brad

For some pimping ideas you could look at street rod paint jobs. I would look at a stock colour close to that of your barrel block and then have some black infill. Perhaps you could put a photo into photoshop and see what various colour schemes look like?

Another idea is to see if you can get a photo of your family one member either side. That way whenever you add a child to the family you have a ready made excuse for a new stock :-). Pays to think ahead (but don't tell your other half it was my idea).

best regards

MArk

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Awesome idea mark. I was thinking of doing the stock silver and maybe get grey words airbrushed on the side to look like engraving.

TOM

#11 Postby TOM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:06 am

Be an anticlimax if it does'nt shoot accurately.

Brad Y

#12 Postby Brad Y » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:43 am

Would be, but equipment wise its got every opportunity to do so. SHOULD just be a case of pointing it in the right direction. But theres no guarantee the driver is always able to do so.

Brad Y

#13 Postby Brad Y » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Has been threaded chambered and fitted to the action and crowned as well. I just put the barrel block on and squared it up with the scope rail. Tightened it up but havent torqued it up properly yet

Left it with the shop to do the pillars for the barrel block and once that is done it can be test fired with some factory 260 ammo to see how it fireforms the brass.

Ive found a local airbrushing and paint works place so will go and see them to see what they can do to the stock.

Will get some pics over the next few days or so

Return to “Equipment & Technical”