Savage 12 F/TR now works

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

higginsdj

Savage 12 F/TR now works

#1 Postby higginsdj » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Back from the Smithy and the first shot out of the Savage at 800m was an X. A good omen..... In awkward conditions I managed a very tight vertical group in both 800 metre details (mid low 5 to low X) and won F Standard B Grade with a 102.2

This was also the first time I experienced heavy mirage. It was so thick at times the whole target moved. (the grass on the range and berms had just been cut this morning after a week of rain). In the second detail I just wound the Nightforce BR scope down to minimum magnification. I also tried my 'anal' loads in Winchester and Lapua - they performed equally though the Lapua seemed to hit 1/2 MOA higher on the target.

So the rifle was bedded around the 2 front action screws and the muzzle crown recut to remove the nick. I am a happy camper once more :) Now that I have some confidence that I can hot where I am aiming I can start looking at a ladder test or 2 to start load development.

Cheers

David

DannyS

#2 Postby DannyS » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Good on you David, way to go. :)

The lapua cases have thicker brass than the winchester, hence less capacity and therefore higher velocity, as indicated by the slightly higher point of impact.

With the mirage, I bet you are glad you went for a variable scope.

Cheers
Danny :)

Chopper

#3 Postby Chopper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Well done Dave, Chop

higginsdj

#4 Postby higginsdj » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:34 pm

:) Now I've got no more excuses......

So who's coming to the ACT Queens - I'll be there Friday morning/noon to watch and mingle and absorb the atmosphere and I'd like to meet you all :)

Cheers

David

Quick

#5 Postby Quick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 pm

David,

Are you gonna shoot the Queens?? Its great fun!!! I shot my first this year at the WARA Queens, had a ball :)
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

higginsdj

#6 Postby higginsdj » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Not this year, will be shooting the ISSF pistol championships instead but will be there Friday morning to take in the atmosphere and see how things operate.

Cheers

David

Return to “Equipment & Technical”