Decapping die for a Forster Press?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RJNEILSEN

Decapping die for a Forster Press?

#1 Postby RJNEILSEN » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 pm

I recently upgraded to a Forster reloading press. This press is awesome. For those who have not looked at one, the dies just clip in and kinda float around horizontally. When resizing, the dies find centre from the case neck ensuring concentricity. My question is, what decapping die can I use on this press? Forster don't sell one. My redding die bent the pin quickly as it can't centre due to not touching the case. I use my decapper prior to ultrasonic cleaning.

Cheers,
Ryan.

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 am

Bite the bullet & buy yourself the cheapest Lee press & a Lee universal depriming tool & do all your depriming separately where it can't contaminate your expensive equipment. One word of warning; if you use Lapua cases with the .059" flash hole, you'll need to spin your depriming pin down somewhat.

I have one of these: http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

Ryan- sorry for my ignorance but by decapping do you mean punching out the spent primer?

If so why not use a regular FLS or Neck die? If you have an awesome new press but it doesnt work with any die to the point where you have to punch out primers with a separate press and die then that isnt too awesome to me??? I looked at the forster presses but went for a lyman crusher instead when I chose my current press. I run a mixture of forster, redding and lee dies fine.

Maybe the forster was designed for use with forster dies only- so a 308 or 223 or what ever cal you use FLS forster die should work fine. But yes if your using 308 palma cases make sure you have the small depriming pin installed- maybe that is what caused your die to fail.

Sambo

#4 Postby Sambo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 am

Hi Ryan, you have done exactly what I want to do (when finances allow), upgrade to a Forster press. Interesting to know that the universal type decappers don't work, but it makes sense really.

I hope you kept the old press? My plan (whenever it happens) is to mount my old press (Lyman) in the garage and do all the depriming there. That way all the dirty work is kept away from my shiny new press, keeping it clean for glamorous operations such as sizing and seating.

Brad, some people use a universal decapping die to knock out the primers only. The purpose of this extra step is to allow cleaning of the case prior to running it through the sizing die.

The decapping die is essentially just a pin inside a body and works with nearly any size case.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”