Howa Barrelled action for F-Class?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

listen_to_slayer

Howa Barrelled action for F-Class?

#1 Postby listen_to_slayer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Just wondering if a Howa 1500 action would be any good for shooting F-class?

I did a search which came up fairly empty, apart from people saying go for a remington... however this was from 2006 and now it seems a lot of people are saying that remington's aren't as good as they were.

So, being new to F-class, and not wanting to sink anymore than around $2k into the whole package, would a Howa 1500 do the job until I decide if I want to get more serious or not? I know a 24" barrel with a 1:10" twist may not ideal, but with a B&C stock and a sightron scope would it be OK? Open to suggestions or offers for cheap Omarks in .308.

Thanks,
Adam

Brad Y

#2 Postby Brad Y » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I reckon the most accurate out of the box action would be a tikka t3. Remington or howa you dont know for sure what you can get. Both good actions to build on though.

Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel or the T3 Varmint Stainless 308 would be a good start for F Standard. Should be around the 1600 dollar mark and you get scope rings included with them. Leaves you $400 for a second hand weaver T24 (take a look around and you should find one) And you will want to get either a bipod for it or put a 3" wide plate on the front and use your local club rest and bags.

Dont forget though you will need cleaning gear. And you will need to buy ammo from your club until you have reloading gear too.

Take a look at usedguns.com.au- sometimes there are omarks or neilsons set up on there ready to go.

Dave P

#3 Postby Dave P » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 pm

A sleeved rem is a good option. These are old benchrest rifle actions which have been trued and sleeved. They are rigid and ideal for any short action cartridge.
Generally you will be buying a second hand rifle so you get a quality stock, action,trigger and barrel (barrel will probably be 6PPC chamber). Often you will get mounts and scopes included with dies and brass.
Expect to pay between $1800 & $2500 depending on whats included but be aware that the bits included ad up if you have to buy them seperately later.

Razer

#4 Postby Razer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:57 pm

listen_to_slayer;
Hi Adam, as suggested, take a look in usedguns.com.au
They have the biggest selection of 308W target rifles that I have seen for a long time, including Omarks, Rems, etc
Look under target rifle section.
The rifle below would be a good buy in your price range and comes with rests and cleaning gear. The scope itself, if genuine US, is over half the price being asked.
I have deleted serial no, licence no and contact no. and dealer. All are available on web site.
I don't think that I am breaking any rules in posting this. :?:
Calibre/Item: 308W
Make: Savage
Model: 12 F/TR
Action: Bolt repeater
Scope: 8.5-25x50 Leupold Mk 4
Serial No: XXXXXX
Condition: Very Good
Price:$2350
Advertised:12/07/2012
Licence number: XXXXXX
Phone: XXXXXXXX
Comment: Includes alloy hard case, front and rear gun rests, all cleaning gear and rod plus 160 Federal Gold Medal cases
Transferring dealer: XXXXXXXXX, Qld
State: QLD

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:40 pm

I agree that 12F/TR is a good buy. With all the extras you would be paying at least $4000 new. We have couple of 12F/TRs at our range and they are showing a lot of promise.

Alan

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm

My first thoughts were of the Savage 12 FT/R on usedguns.com, but..........if your handy, enjoy tinkering and have time on your side and wanted new, I think a very competetive entry level option is to purchase a Savage Target action from Cleavers, a 3" forend target stock from Richardsmicrofit and Sillen prefit barrel from shooters.com.au.

I started with a factory Savage12 F-class 6BR and its excellent, especially for the price.

That Savage 12 FT/R is great value though.

Woody_rod

#7 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:14 pm

The savage is good value, it is a shame that Australians have to pay such a huge markup due to the importer high margins.

Chopper

#8 Postby Chopper » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 pm

I have just done a stock and barrel for a Howa and it goes like stink, 6x47, benchrest, cost of stock and barrel $1600, Fitted, also done a Savage and rebarrel and stock in 6br, last weekend all ten shots went in the 10 ring , 2 x 5 shots ,at 300mtrs, 32mm ave, I dont think you have to spend another 2gs on an action, , nightforce scopes were used, and original triggers, all good fun, mind you, to save a bob you just sand off and coat the stock, Chop.

TOM

#9 Postby TOM » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:56 am

Was'nt that long ago I seem to remember an Aussie made action selling cheaper in the states than here.
Tom

Gtown

#10 Postby Gtown » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I have only been shooting F-class for only 9 months now, I started with a $400 Omark brought off this site (with scope and Lapua brass), a T36 for $500 off here. I did have some reloading gear but brought a Comp seater and a Lee Collett die ($225) a rest from the NSW RA and the best thing I ever did was a two stage trigger from Davies, a coat of paint and I am reasonably competitive for less that $1700.00

It is possible to be competitive and have fun for under $2K

My two cents worth.

macguru

#11 Postby macguru » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:50 pm

I agree that the savage FTR is good value BUT ......
(general message)
If you know someone using one, could you take a look at the clearance between the barrel and the stock and let me know if you think its enough ?

I have seen a couple here that only group in the 5 ring and I suspect this may be the source of the problem....
that is, contact during firing between the stock and the barrel....

andrew

Woody_rod

#12 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 pm

TOM wrote:Was'nt that long ago I seem to remember an Aussie made action selling cheaper in the states than here.
Tom

Do you still not understand international exchange rates and all that? Maybe you live in a small world where Australia is the only country on the planet?

I suppose you use an Aussie made action / rifle?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”