Getting range from scope

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

runstewart

Getting range from scope

#1 Postby runstewart » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 pm

HI just need to no what size are the target bords at the range and does some one no the maths using mill dots to get range and do you have your scope fully zoom in or out using :roll: mill dots

DannyS

#2 Postby DannyS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 pm

If you need to know target board sizes, some ranges use 4 foot square targets for short range ie 300 & 400 yards but generally they are 6 foot square and then 6 x 8 at 800 plus.

Scoring ring sizes are more important and sizes can be found under the SSRs ( standard shooting rules) at the NRAA website.

Re what magnification you use your scope on? Well that depends? 1. How high your scope goes, 2. How good a scope you have and 3. How strong is the mirage.

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 pm

runstewart,
your question basically has no relevence to fclass.
we know the range because we are on a rifle range.
scopes with mildots should come with instructions for their use, but that technology is void in our sport.
moa can be calculated easily from the ring diameter on the targets.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

runstewart

I no now thank sorry not for f class just for me

#4 Postby runstewart » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 pm

hi back to this again we ar using yards the target is 1 yard hight so you no the size of it. then you x bye 1000yards that gives you 1000yards so then look at mildots on scope the hight of them is two so divide it that is 500 yards but if you dont no the size then look at the mill dots if the target is 3 mil dots make them inches add ten so the target is 30 inchs x 27.77 then divide mill dots that is three so makes it 277.7 yards hope that helps :shock:
Last edited by runstewart on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flatlina

#5 Postby flatlina » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm not trying to be rude but the first thing to do would be to structure a coherent sentence.

Regards
john

runstewart

#6 Postby runstewart » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:40 pm

flatlina wrote:I'm not trying to be rude but the first thing to do would be to structure a coherent sentence.

Regards
john
hi just look now some time i just think peopel no i dont want to be coherent i just nead to no bye :lol:

DannyS

#7 Postby DannyS » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 pm

As Bruce has already mentioned, we shoot on rifle ranges and we know what distances we are shooting over. We know how much to wind up our sights or we can find out, how much to wind them up. We don't use mildots for elevation between ranges. Some shooters use them to adjust their fall of shots but only once they are already on target.

Therefore all of your calculations are unneeded.

runstewart

#8 Postby runstewart » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 am

DannyS wrote:As Bruce has already mentioned, we shoot on rifle ranges and we know what distances we are shooting over. We know how much to wind up our sights or we can find out, how much to wind them up. We don't use mildots for elevation between ranges. Some shooters use them to adjust their fall of shots but only once they are already on target.

Therefore all of your calculations are unneeded.
ok thats me sorry

Return to “Equipment & Technical”