Barrels on rem action

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Barrels on rem action

#1 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 pm

What would be the heaviest contour barrel you would personally be comfortable hanging off a remington 700 action?

Assume the barrel is 30 inches long.

Also would you believe that using a thicker recoil lug would help support the heavier barrel?

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:46 pm

any weight barrel works well with a rem action if it is barrel block bedded.
in fact a trued rem 700 is second to none for this application.
i have used krieger heavy varmint profle on a sleeved conventionally bedded rem 600 quite successfully.
no doubt any of the palma profiles would be safe.
sometimes you wonder if some of these theories regarding thread tennon length could be old husbands' tales.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

fclass556

#3 Postby fclass556 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Brad. I run nothing but Rem's all of them 5.56's. They all have Maddco 26" No7 Heavy Profile barrels measuring 1.25 at the knox and just under 1" at the crown. All free floated heavy buggers and never had an ounce of trouble. In fact they all shoot like stink. Not sure about the 30" but havent found the need for anything longer even out to 1000 yds.
'AIM TWICE .. SHOOT ONCE "

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Im thinking somewhere along the lines of a 1.25 for 5-6 inches at the chamber end then tapering to an inch at the muzzle.

Bruce- I was going for a barrel block and still plan to on another gun. Thinking of maybe chucking a 6.5x47L heavy barrel on the remington and current stock that is bedded with a whidden V block. Heavy barrel will get me to around 9kg and i can put some weight into the butt as well.

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

brad,
that profile sounds like what is known as a williamsport profile. it is a very good profile for stiffness combined with gun balance which is not front heavy.
the percieved weakness of the rem 700, its lightness, is its great strength for a barrel block job. this allows more barrel and scope wt compared to a target action.
all the barrel block actions around here shoot like stink. some are savage target actions. they seem to offer greater barrel stiffness. their nodes in ladder tests seem closer together than a conventional floating barrel setup.
one guy finds the barrel block useful to record sight settings on.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Brad Y

#6 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Bruce- you should be a car salesman.

Im working on a stock at the moment so as long as I incorporate a single shot follower setup in it, then technically there is no reason why I cant do it. My remington still needs to be able to swap back into the mcmillan varmint stock for use with AI mags come a culling trip.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”