which calibre?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

westernsky

which calibre?

#1 Postby westernsky » Wed May 30, 2012 10:02 pm

g'day everyone!
im new to the site and to long range (sort of) and thought id say hi. i also wanted to find out more about f class, as i have a rifle ive been building to use in long range, but im not sure if i can use it as the club i went to said i could only use 223 or 308 in competition.
i have a 300RUM (a little overkill i know). its a remington 700 action that im getting rebarrelled with a true flite barrel and i have an XLR chassis coming aswell.
would be great to hear from anyone who can shed some light on this for me,
happy shooting!

DannyS

#2 Postby DannyS » Thu May 31, 2012 8:50 am

Hi mate and welcome to the forum, re your queries, can I suggest having a search of previous posts as most of this has been discussed recently.

You should be able to shoot your 300rum in F Open but things like muzzle brakes are not allowed. You also have to comply with weight limits.

Some clubs may not welcome cartridges as large as a 300rum due to noise etc.

It always pays to checkout any sport before laying the cash to buy equipment that may not comply with the rules.

Big is not always better.

Seddo

#3 Postby Seddo » Thu May 31, 2012 9:50 am

You will love shooting it in the XLR stock, i have one on my 284. I can give you soem advise with the stock, as you have to take the bolt out when you leave the mound i leave the buffer tube lock screw finger tight and rotate the butt so i can remove the bolt. I tried cutting out section of the cheek peice but then i couldnt see down the bore as i have the butt pad up high.

Danny is right, you cant shoot F Class but you cna shoot F Open with it.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

GregW

#4 Postby GregW » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 am

G'Day WS,

You don't mention which club you went to. I'm thinking either Bindoon or Dowerin. The Beverley club, where I shot for years has a strong "F" class group. They shoot Saturday arvo's and would be up to speed on all things "F" class.

Greg Warrian.

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Thu May 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Is it currently a 300 RUM and you are getting a new barrel? If you are committed to this 30 cal barrel, maybe you could get it rechambered in 300WSM? Even if it is currently chambered, you could easily turn this barrel into a 300WSM.
As has been mentioned, some clubs have velocity or muzzle energy limits in their range templates which might rule out cartridges such as RUMs.

westernsky

#6 Postby westernsky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:00 pm

thanks guys
to greg, i went to chidlow and they were ok with me shooting at the club, that wasnt a problem. they were really good actually, just they said it wasnt allowed in comp.
to rdavies, yea ive had the barrel fitted already, i bought the rifle a few years ago before id thought about going into the sport, i just got it because i wanted to start long range stuff at mates propertys.
cheers for all the feedback and ill look through the other topics for more info.
hopefully ill see some of the wa guys out on the ranges. not sure which club im going to join up to yet

westernsky

#7 Postby westernsky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:06 pm

and cheers seddo for the advice on the stock, hopefully it turns up soon so i can start sending pointy bits downrange!

Southcape

#8 Postby Southcape » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:16 am

WS, there are a few competitions in WA for F Open shooters. The GSDRA in Albany - January. Wurgabup - April and the Queens Prize at Swanbourne in September.

Locky on this forum is a West Aussie open shooter. There are some around if you start looking for them. I think Chidlow may be locky's club???
Linda

Return to “Equipment & Technical”