Suitability of Steyr for F Class

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

monaro76

Suitability of Steyr for F Class

#1 Postby monaro76 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:56 pm

G'day Everyone,

I've just got hold of a Steyr Tactical Elite in 308 and was wondering if anyone using one of these or a Steyr Scout in any of the F-Class competitions around the place.

Also, has anyone had anything to do with the Pro Tactical range of scopes?

Monaroboy

Paul Janzso

Styer

#2 Postby Paul Janzso » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:17 am

It should be OK for F Class, but what class do you want to shoot in ? standard or open.
With standard you will have to stick to the Siera 155gn MK projectiles or Dyer 155gn projectiles, ADI 2206,2206H or 2208 powder . You will have to crony your loads and make sure your velocity is in the 2,850fps range to keep your projectiles supersonic , approx. 1,175fps at 1,000m/y.
What brand are the protactical scopes?I use Weaver, v24, T24 and T36 scopes and I have to use a 20 degre rail to give the scope enough elevation at the long ranges.
I have a Tikka Tactical 223 for standard F Class and use 80gn Sierra projectiles, it gives the 308's a run for ther money, especially when my nephew Johno uses it.

Cheers
PJ
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Vic Police Rifle Club

#3 Postby Vic Police Rifle Club » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:41 pm

Monaroboy..

We have a couple of Steyr Tactical Rifles along with several other rifles as Club Guns. The Tactical Elite model you are referring to shoots fine but it does have several drawbacks as a competitive target rifle. The barrel length is under 24" (23.75 to be exact) and using 155 gn Sierras for FStandard you will find a severe loss of velocity at the longer ranges (600+ yards) We have found better accuracy using 168Gn Match projectiles however this puts you into the FOpen catergory and this rifle wont hold a candle to most of the 6BR's and 6.5/284's shooting on Chamionship targets.

Next the MilStd 1913 or picatinny rail that runs the full length of the rifle is designed for attaching military sights, night vision gear etc and has no incline. This means you will either need to purchase a scope with a [u]LOT of internal elevation or a pair of weaver style rings with at least 20MOA built in. Again costly.

Finally the base of the rear stock has the spare detachable magazine built in. If you intend to use a rear bag with ears, you will find the rifle wont track correctly and the base of the magazine lips will actually catch in the bag ears. The rifle also has a built in front bipod which is an intergral part of the forend. These are very basic and non adjustable which on some ranges prove very restrictive.

Please dont think I'm saying the rifle is no good, far from it. The rifle was primarily designed for tactical purposes, not target shooting. Im just giving you a few of the problems we have encountered and the rest is up to you.

Hope it helps. Andy. :D

Dazza

#4 Postby Dazza » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:29 am

Andy.....

You forgot to mention that they are a lightweight rifle, and kick like mules! :D

Darren

Vic Police Rifle Club

#5 Postby Vic Police Rifle Club » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:09 pm

Dazza,
Wasnt trying and scare him off but you can show him "YOUR" bruises if you like. That what happens when you spend all your time shooting a 6PPC...... :lol: Andy....

monaro76

#6 Postby monaro76 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:06 pm

G'day Guys,

Thanks for all of the information. No, haven't scared me away.... yet!

I suppose I should have put a bit more information in my first post in relation to my shooting.

Up until now I have just been shooting my Remington 700 ADL in .243 and haven't even had my new Steyr down the range yet. Been collecting up reloading gear and have only just kicked off as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the recoil!!! Thought that may have been the case. It is a definitely lightweight,

Not sure about which class/type of competitions that I should be looking at, what would people suggest???

I haven't competed in any sort of shooting competitions but am keen to start.

Also, a question on scoped rifle training courses. Does anyone know of any that are run in Queensland??? Alternatively, would be willing to travel south if I knew far enough ahead.

Anyway, thanks for all of the info, any tips and tricks with the Steyr would be appreciated.

Great site and catch you all later!

Dazza

#7 Postby Dazza » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Monaro76

The Steyr Tactical rifles are a bit light, but are definately suitable for F-Class std. They are accurate with factory ammo, and have a pretty good trigger. All you need are a decent scope and a bipod. And they are probably more accurate with handloaded ammo!

Let the Queenslanders on these forums know where you are, and I'm sure someone will assist you in finding a range to shoot on.

Most rifle clubs are always looking for new members..............

All the best!

Darren

P.S. Your Rem. .243 would get you a start in F-Class open as well :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”