seating dies

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

saum2

seating dies

#1 Postby saum2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:22 am

What's the best seating die (brand) to give the least run out.
I have a micrometer RCBS. I've just realised runout in the projectile can be up to .015"
With the VLD type projectile, projectiles don't bottom out in the seater but only touch on the tip area & i think the reason for the run out.
VLD seating stems for RCBS??? any ideas

thanks
Geoff

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 am

Geoff,

You can modify the seating plunger yourself by drilling out the offending metal with a judiciously selected drill so that it strikes further down the projectile ogive. I had to do that way back with a Forster seater I own. Once the tip area was relieved, the kiss point on the projectile was well down from the drilled area in that instance, though you need to check that out on yours.

Generally the seating process doesn't have a great deal of influence on runout in the case of reasonably manufactured gear. Most of it occurs in the case preparation process, particularly when using a standard sizing die with neck button to only partially size the case.

For my F Standard & Match rifles, I use the Lee Collet Dies set up in the manner John Valentine suggests. I believe that I have posted his recommendations here in the past. In addition, it's important to get the neck chamfering process right. The average hand held chamfering tools sold by most manufacturers aren't that good at achieving a smooth, uniform neck, which is why I use the Wilson VLD tool on my Wilson case trimmer.

John

Triplejim

Re: seating dies

#3 Postby Triplejim » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Krakey wrote: I've just realised runout in the projectile can be up to .015"
New cases?

saum2

seating dies

#4 Postby saum2 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:48 pm

James, not sure if you mean i should buy new cases or have i got new cases?
The Lapua cases I have are not that old, used but still ok. I use a Redding SB die with a 335 neck bush. Bump the shoulder down .001"-.002". I think I prep the cases ok . i have just recently found that I got excellent accuracy with the old Sierras. No run out with these prodjies, I'm guessing due to the different ogive shape that suits the seater die better. Not many old Sierras left tho. probably should look to the future new Berger prodgies??

Geoff

Triplejim

Re: seating dies

#5 Postby Triplejim » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Krakey wrote:James, not sure if you mean i should buy new cases or have i got new cases? Geoff

New cases can have more run-out but it reads like the seater stem is the issue, JC

Return to “Equipment & Technical”