Neck turning advice please

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Norm

Neck turning advice please

#1 Postby Norm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 am

I have been neck turning some brass for a .284 winchester down to 0.309" in order to match the chamber that I have with a small amount of clearance.

Once the cases were turned, I fire formed them in the rifle and then checked them over the neck turner again.

The second time I put the cases over the neck turner I was able to remove some more brass from the neck and still maintain a loaded case neck diameter of 0.309".

Is this a common practice to neck turn again after fire forming, or do you think that it is not needed?

AlanF

Re: Neck turning advice please

#2 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

Norm wrote:I have been neck turning some brass for a .284 winchester down to 0.309" in order to match the chamber that I have with a small amount of clearance.

Once the cases were turned, I fire formed them in the rifle and then checked them over the neck turner again.

The second time I put the cases over the neck turner I was able to remove some more brass from the neck and still maintain a loaded case neck diameter of 0.309".

Is this a common practice to neck turn again after fire forming, or do you think that it is not needed?

Its common practice Norm. New necks can be a little irregular so turning leaves imperfections. Make sure you clean the inside of the necks for the second go.

Alan

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks Alan,
Good tip on cleaning the inside of the neck before having a second go.

DaveMc

#4 Postby DaveMc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Norm,
Also watch you full length sizer is sizing brass all the way to the bottom of the necks. I made the mistake with one set of brass thinking I was getting donut buildup when really it was just my FL sizer not pushing in the bottom mm of neck as far (home made - so can only blame myself). After every firing I could take off more brass just above neck shoulder junction. Needless to say the necks got quite thin there after a few times. This is less of a problem with factory dies as they tend to oversize down anyway BUT the thinner you turn necks the more likely you are that the FL sizer is not sizing down enough. If you are using neck dies then it is probably a given that this is happening as the neck bushing won't get to bottom of neck either.

BUT that being said I agree with Alan, a second run over after a shot (or few shots) does tend to clean them up a bit more uniformly.

Dave

ecomeat

#5 Postby ecomeat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm

More or less along the lines of Norms question : when you do a second Neck Turning after one (or maybe after several) shots, do you successful F Open guys ever ream the inside of the neck (as opposed to Alan's suggestion of cleaning......and I am assuming he just means cleaning carbon off with a brush) ?? Or do you only ever just turn the outside a second time to clean it up ?
Ecomeat
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

DaveMc

#6 Postby DaveMc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I personally have tried both but now just do outside with no reaming.
My process is FL size (no button). then bronze brush inside necks (reverse in drill with shells upside down). then expander mandrel (care taken that whole neck has been squeezed in past expander mandrel first). then turn again
I think outside turning against an internal mandrel is a good system to control the thickness a little better than reaming.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”