Cleaning - From breach or muzzel

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

higginsdj

Cleaning - From breach or muzzel

#1 Postby higginsdj » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Does it matter if I clean a barrel from the muzzel end? Given most people 'scrub' the barrel in both directions, is there really a difference between cleaning from either direction?

Cheers

David

Barry Davies

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 pm

David

Cleaning from muzzle end is not a good idea -- reason -- you run a high risk of damage to the muzzle crown.
Similarly when you clean from the breach end and allow the brush or jag to pass completely out, you must take care not to clip the muzzle crown with the rod parts as you draw the rod back -- you can also damage the crown.
Damaged crown = lousy group.
Barry

AlanF

Re: Cleaning - From breach or muzzel

#3 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm

higginsdj wrote:Does it matter if I clean a barrel from the muzzel end? Given most people 'scrub' the barrel in both directions, is there really a difference between cleaning from either direction?

Cheers

David

May not matter to anyone else, but it will probably matter to you when your accuracy goes quickly southwards. The crown (muzzle end) of a barrel is critical to accuracy. A cleaning rod used from the muzzle end will tend to not only take the sharp edge off the crown, but also "bell-mouth" the bore. Most sensible way of cleaning is via the chamber end and using a bore guide, a tubular device that sits snuggly in the action and chamber with a central bore for the cleaning rod.

Can I suggest that at your next visit to your local range, you find an experienced shooter who cleans at the range and watch the full process. A visual demo of this is much better than words on this forum for things like this. And when you start reloading, I would strongly urge you to ask an experienced reloader to look at your setup, and get you started with the basics with YOUR gear. Reloading can be deadly dangerous if done without a sound knowledge of the basics.

Alan

Return to “Equipment & Technical”