Berger 338 OTM hybrid bullets test results for 338 win mag

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

slzagrodnik

Berger 338 OTM hybrid bullets test results for 338 win mag

#1 Postby slzagrodnik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 am

Like Tarey, I was chosen to test the Berger 338 OTM hybrid bullets. The rifle I used was my 338 win mag elk rifle-- a Mauser 98 action, 26" Mcgowen barrel with 4 magnaported slots, in a McMillan fiberglass stock that is glass and pillar bedded. Scope is a Leupold 4.5x14x50mm scope with a Bulzeye pro 3.5 eyepiece.
I will present my results in an excel spreadsheet. Shot the rifle with a 100yd zero at 300yds so that I would not shoot my chrony. Used 3 target frames- one for each powder used-just shifted bulls bag to line up on each target. My son, Steve jr., recorded velocity, conditions, and shot pattern-- this way my only job was to shoot and call my shots. Saw the target results after we pulled down targets to go home. Therefore the ladder test is a drop POI. Shooter is firing uphill to targets because of pits. I let barrel cool for 5 minutes after each 5 shot string. Didn't clean barrel during testing. Did not adjust for wind changes. Bullet's vertical is fantastic when velocity similar. Loads are conservative because I had no experience loading 250gr match hybrids. All rounds single loaded and fired--box mag length is 3.34" --rounds seated for coal of 3.64" which is 0.050" off the lands. Ammo loaded on Forster press, RCBS sm. base die, Forster ultraseating die. Used CCI 250M primers. New 338 win Winchester brass. Primer holes done with KM tool and seated with KM tool with dial indicator. Forster seating die caused tip to flatten ever so slightly-- did not affect accuracy. ISRA range is in Illinois. I liked these bullets and would use for hunting at longer range shots if a close shot did not present itself on elk, moose, etc. Thanks Berger and Michelle Gallagher for the opportunity to test these bullets. The short bearing surface makes tuning easy and can push loads more than Nosler 210 gr partition or Barnes 225 gr tsx or ttsx bullets.

slzagrodnik

#2 Postby slzagrodnik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:07 am

The info is posted on www.6mmbr.com /shooters' forum /reloading /berger 250 hybrid tactical test results. Post started by Gnergy (Tarey) and I posted reply with my results. Bullet length is 1.62" and the tactical bullet has a thicker jacket. Next beta testing will be for the hunting version of this bullet. If I pull a Moose permit this fall in Maine (USA) I will shoot this bullet. Backup shots will be Barnes 225 tsx bullets to magazine length.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”